Q engineering introduction.

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
QYT

Q engineering introduction.

Post by QYT »

Hi everyone,

My name is Quin, I'm a small YouTuber, and a proud Canadian Redneck (who happens to be an engineer). I've made a few videos on FreeCAD, and would love to make some more.

http://www.youtube.com/c/qengineering/

The aim of my channel is to focus on small quick videos, short tutorials, and functional 3D designs. Just some videos that you could enjoy while winding down with a drink at the end of the day.

If there is any FreeCAD topics that you would like me to cover please feel free to reply to this thread.

Na Zdrowie
Cheers
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Q engineering introduction.

Post by chrisb »

Hi Quin,
I watched the first video on constraints, and I liked it! There are two points which could possibly be improved, or better: one could and another should really:

- You should really start all of your videos with shortly showing the version you use.
- You could increase point size and line width, because your screen caster shows a green bubble at mouse position. This is appreciated, but it makes color changes on selections hard to see.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
QYT

Post by QYT »

Hi chrisb,

I'll try to figure out how to increase the line width and maybe try a color like yellow to see if it works better.

The version number at the beginning is however a bit of an issue at this moment. In YouTube most people tend to use the first 15sec to decide if your video is with watching or no. So you basically have that long to capture someone's attention. Things like version details tend to make the average viewer drop out. I had a video that included the info and saw the drop in views right as i got to the version, when I cropped that part of the video out people kept watching. Even though I agree with you and think it's usefull the stats tell me that the average viewer doesn't agree with us.
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

For me it's simple - no version info=don't bother watching...
There are too many differences between versions to waste my time watching video using old/different version of FreeCAD.
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't recommend such videos either. It's also in the guide lines for videos. If you are only hunting for clicks, then you may be right on youtube, but wrong here. Instead of showing a glass of whatever, you could show the version. Or while doing your introductory talk.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Yea, you can show the version number in some window in window area of the screen
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

QYT wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 5:46 pm ...

The version number at the beginning is however a bit of an issue at this moment. In YouTube most people tend to use the first 15sec to decide if your video is with watching or no. So you basically have that long to capture someone's attention.
Are you making videos to be useful to FreeCAD users or simply to take youtubers attention?

For me most important thing is the content of the video.

But I usually not advice to watch videos as usually:

1) They are difficult to follow as many times you are simply seeing a mouse pointer that move on the screen
2) Version info is not shown so it is difficult to guess even what menu item was chosen, without stopping the video and maybe zooming (provided that the resolution permit a decent reading of the items)
3) Many concepts are difficult to show only with screen captures and require some explanations and some previous knoledge of many things.

I will be very happy if you will find some solution to my concerns, and prove me I'm wrong.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
QYT

Post by QYT »

[quote=onekk post_id=557631 time=1640877316

Are you making videos to be useful to FreeCAD users or simply to take youtubers attention?
[/quote]

If you wanted "attention" FreeCAD Tutorials would be one of the least effective topics, Fusion 360 would get me 10x the views, and putting up videos of my puppy or playing the guitar would be 100x easier. I enjoy using FreeCAD and I enjoy making videos so naturally it's a good fit.

That being said, I came here to see if there is anything that I could do to help. I simply introduced myself (who I am, what I do, and asked what I could do). What I got in a rude reception at best.

Since it's not proper to insult someone in their own home. I'm simply going to say "thank you for your time, but I don't think this is the right place for me" and kindly remind you that anyone on this forum is an ambassador of the brand and their behavior good or bad reflects in kind on the project itself.

Quin.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

QYT wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:10 am What I got in a rude reception at best.
I'm sorry if my first post in this topic is recepted as rude. I can't do any better.
(who I am, what I do, and asked what I could do).
You asked for it, you got it. Now don't feel offended.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

QYT wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:35 pm My name is Quin, I'm a small YouTuber, and a proud Canadian Redneck (who happens to be an engineer). I've made a few videos on FreeCAD, and would love to make some more.
Quin, I recommend not to judge this whole forum by this experience. If you hang here you'll see that we get a lot of users who all have different agendas. And sometimes receptions can feel a little nit-picky and edgy because of that. We also have an issue with a lot of misinformed or dated videos/tutorials out in the wild that creates a lot of confusion for the forum veterans to troubleshoot and re-orientate users coming here (some of them quite frustrated and venting in a misguided way).

I've watched your vids and like your quirk. I hope you can reconsider because we are quite friendly here. Sometimes things don't get off on the correct foot.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs