Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

Post by Kunda1 »

...and hopefully in this next iteration we can move forward with full integration. By breaking the code in to manageable pieces, merging it and stabilizing the codebase.

It's really not useful, productive or really accurate to rehash the challenges faced by everyone involved with the previous effort of getting LinkStage merged in to master. To get an accurate account we'd need to get feedback and representation everyone that was involved. That's not important. What's important is that we all move forward together.

Alone we go faster, together we go farther
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
saso
Veteran

Re: Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

Post by saso »

Yes, and my post should not be seen as full on critique on Lei, I highly respect him and I love much of the things he did, but there are also things that are IMO also just wrong and bad, so why should now everything, without a question get merged with the master? ... I try to take things more easy lately, but I do get pissed when some get to put on a pedestal and then everyone else is the bad guy, a large part of the reason why Lei is somewhat of a "one man show" is because he himself prefers to work like this.
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

I never understand why people are so emotional and irrational about this topic. FreeCAD an LinkStage3 are basically two related but different products, they share a lot of DNA but have different management, goals, development cycle, vision, etc... Both are free, anyone can install both and use whatever they prefer.

The whole point of Open Source products is that you are free to use it or not, you can improve the things that you don't like, you can contribute your improvements if you want. If you find something that suit your needs better you are free to go, thats the point, beign free.

As an open source developer, sometimes I create something just for me and then I share it with the community, then some external developers contribute nicely to improve, but I keep the right to enforce my vision of the product. Anyway if anyone else does not share my vision, he/she can fork and create a different product.

I love FreeCAD and I love LinkStage3, I use both. I usually work on FreeCAD 0.19 and do some tests on LinkStage3. I hope some of the Incredible work from RealThunder will be integrated into FreeCAD at some point when it is ready. But I fully understad how difficult it is to merge forks with massive changes and at the same time integrate other contributions, fix bugs, manage releases for 3 operating systems, update documentation, ....

So Friends, just keep doing the amazing work you are doing in both projects, and ignore trolls.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I'm probably not particularly qualified to chime in here, but I do have a few comments/observations:

1. Frustrations with seeing incredible new features just waiting to get merged into master is understandable
2. The person commenting on youtube or wherever obviously doesn't understand the difference between simple merge requests and complex merge requests.
3. Something I feel would benefit the FC community at-large would be a development roadmap. Like implementation goals for 0.20 and features that are goals for 0.21 and beyond. Not that they have to be cemented in stone, but it gives people an idea of work that needs to be done and/or reasonable expectations of what major things are coming and when.
4. Both Form (UI/UX) and Function need to be developed together, so someone might only see pretty icons, while another may see it as a usability improvement. You can have all the power of the world at your fingertips but if it is impossible to figure out, that power is essentially worthless.

Core Devs, and RealThunder all do some amazing things to improve FreeCAD for everyone, the person quoted in this thread has a toxic attitude. However, I also see some very dismissive reactions towards new users that come to the forum with questions/suggestions that also can come across as being toxic. So, while it's easy to look at that guy and see what he is, perhaps some of us also need to acknowledge that we can also do better.

That being said, I'm literally putting myself through the self torture of learning Python so that I can hopefully make a meaningful contribution of my own to this project in the future.

Hopefully, this post isn't seen as being too out of place.

-Regards
skopjanecot

Post by skopjanecot »

Is this the right post to ask whether he is planning to implement the Helix tool from Part Design WB in his branch?
LHC

Post by LHC »

skopjanecot wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:59 pm Is this the right post to ask whether he is planning to implement the Helix tool from Part Design WB in his branch?
I don't use RT branch but do keep an eye on the developments there as I learn FC (I'm pretty new to the software) I saw recently somewhere where it's was stated he tends to merge the main FC branch developments about once a month and recently Abdullahs improvements to the sketcher workbench have made it into the RT branch. So, yes, I would expect the new shiny helix commands in Sketcher to make their way there soon.

Big shout out to the developer of that additive / subtractive helix by the way. And also to our YouTuber Flowie for slamming out a tutorial within days of its introduction. I even watched it to the end and I don't understand a tap of German! :lol:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

skopjanecot wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:59 pm Is this the right post to ask whether he is planning to implement the Helix tool from Part Design WB in his branch?
No. Better ask in the Assembly forum.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm Haha, I didn't even know that realthunder is Chinese. While there is some truth in his words, he disqualifies himself as a serious communication partner by such insinuations.
Yes. We obviously discriminate here.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

abdullah wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:45 pm
chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:31 pm Haha, I didn't even know that realthunder is Chinese. While there is some truth in his words, he disqualifies himself as a serious communication partner by such insinuations.
Yes. We obviously discriminate here.
Rereading my statement I see that it can be misunderstood. With "he" I of course didn't mean realthunder, but rather the youtube poster.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

abdullah wrote: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:45 pm Yes. We obviously discriminate here.
Yeah, some say that originally, FreeCAD should have been named WaspCAD. :mrgreen: :evil: :lol: