Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

here is a recording from today. https://live.fosdem.org/watch/dcad

blue0cean made me aware of this event. Thank you

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:38 pm
ping

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
davidosterberg

Re: Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

Post by davidosterberg »

Thanks OficineRobotica, and Realthunder for making this talk and to Thomas for recording it. It Is fun to put a face to the name. Although much of this is familiar to us that follow the forum, it still adds another dimension to hear a talk.

Edit: now having seen the whole talk. The thoughts on the future was very interesting. Good ideas and nice to see this kind of forward thinking.
Last edited by davidosterberg on Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Lei Zheng (realthunder) talk about the future of freecad, among other things

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:25 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:38 pm
ping

phpBB [video]
Hi Thomas, thanks for the ping.
Very interesting.
Many greetings, Wilfried
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:25 pm here is a recording from today.
I think it's important to emphasize here that this is realthunder's opinion about the future of FreeCAD. We don't hear wmayer or yorik represented here (not implying anything is wrong with that). It's just important to represent this correctly so people don't jump to the conclusion that this is the future of FC but that this is a report on RT's amazing efforts and his intention to merge his functionality back in to master in 2021. Does that makes sense?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
tom

Post by tom »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:45 pm I think it's important to emphasize here that this is realthunder's opinion about the future of FreeCAD. We don't hear wmayer or yorik represented here (not implying anything is wrong with that). It's just important to represent this correctly so people don't jump to the conclusion that this is the future of FC but that this is a report on RT's amazing efforts and his intention to merge his functionality back in to master in 2021. Does that makes sense?
Yes, that is realthunder's opinion. However, for a user's point of view (with a very little developer's insight) it is a great plan for 2021. I very appreciate his effort to tackle even complicated and work intensive things. IMHO almost all of his topics of the past and the future are also on top of my wish-list for FC. Solving/mitigating the topological naming issue is at the very top of that list. The overlay layout is a steep step towards better usability. And as a Mac user I like his goal to replace the coin3d library by a more modern rendering engine (nobody knows when Apple will entirely drop the OpenGL support).

For me his plan makes sense. I hope that all developers will agree some sort of agree with him.

BR Tom
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Looks geats ! Thanks for sharing :D
mnesarco

Post by mnesarco »

Amazing work and perspective. It is nice to see young people doing such a great work.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Yes, it is really amazing. He didn't talk much about what I would call a real thunder in FreeCAD's development: the topological naming improvements. Compared to that all other things are just nice to have.

Now the really hard work starts and it may imply serious changes to his work: the integration into master. from what I read in the forum there are thousands of lines of code involved, spread all over the system. This is obviously extremely hard to review and merge. So the hard work is to split the toponaming improvements into small chunks, where each of them can me merged without the others following it.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:45 pm this is a report on RT's amazing efforts and his intention to merge his functionality back in to master in 2021.
Is it something heard from the horse's mouth (sorry, learned this idiom in English lesson 20 years ago and never had occasion to use it until today :lol:)? I was wondering if plan for merging as been by some way shared with wmayer. Like to hear about that.
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:25 pm here is a recording from today.
Thanks for sharing this video conference and thanks also to OficineRobotica and Realthunder for conducting this interview.

While not devaluing the work of other developers so important, Realthunder brings all its energy and enthusiasm to developments that we might not expect in such a near future.

Personally, I really appreciate the evolutions brought to PartDesign in its branch and of course all the possibilities of the Assembly 3 workbench.
In any case, it is always a great pleasure to use FreeCAD.

Warm thanks to the entire developer community.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06