Basic Attachment Tutorial

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jpg87

Re: Basic Attachment Tutorial

Post by jpg87 »

Hi all.
Thank you for starting to open this excellent tutorial for translation.
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
manos

Attachment point

Post by manos »

I read the "Basic Attachment Tutorial" and when I am at the point of the tutortial -as shown at the screenshot-
Attachment1 2022-07-07 21-46-46.png
Attachment1 2022-07-07 21-46-46.png (306.33 KiB) Viewed 1280 times
I select Isoskeles... --> Data -->Map Mode --> [...] and I select a line at the rectangle close to one of its end. The Isoskeles... is attached at the one end of the selected line. Now I repeat the whole procedure, I select the same line, but this time close to the OTHER END: The Isoskeles... is attached at the SAME END of the selected line as before. The same happened at all the four edges of the rectangle.
So the question which arises, is at which end point of the reference line the origin of the isoskeles.. will be attached? Which is the relevant rule ?
Attachments
Attach2 basic tut.FCStd
(11.15 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
edwilliams16
Veteran

Re: Attachment point

Post by edwilliams16 »

Every edge has a beginning and an end. I don't think you can see it in the Gui. The sketch attaches at the beginning and you use map-path to move it along the edge. There's no rule, if you could even imagine one, that determines the beginning other than that was how it was constructed.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

There is a thread in tutorials that addresses these issues please post there.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... attachment
manos

Post by manos »

edwilliams16 wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:24 pm Every edge has a beginning and an end. I don't think you can see it in the Gui. The sketch attaches at the beginning and you use map-path to move it along the edge. There's no rule, if you could even imagine one, that determines the beginning other than that was how it was constructed.
Thanks edwilliams16 .
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

I would like to point out that this is addressed in the tutorial in the following section.

It is important that the whole tutorial is worked through, it takes the reader step by step through the valid points.

It should be noted that posting in the correct place helps to keep queries in a central place where others, that may be struggling with similar issues can gain from the questions asked.
manos

Post by manos »

I think that the following sentence (at the 9th printed page):
This concept of the origin being the attachment point is important,....

would be more understandable like this:
This concept of the origin of the attached object, being the attachment point is important,..

Thanks for the tutorial @Bance
manos

Post by manos »

Bance wrote: Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:59 am I would like to point out that this is addressed in the tutorial in the following section.
Indeed. False alarm.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

On Bance's request I merged the topic "Attachment point" with the "Basic Attachment Tutorial" topic.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.