Guidelines for videos and tutorials

A place to share learning material: written tutorials, videos, etc.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Guidelines for videos and tutorials

Post by chrisb »

Welcome cookie-cutter, and thanks for the contribution. I would sign every point of these.
Adding to 1 and 8: it is best to use the default toolbars. If for some reason this is not the case, then it should at least be stated very clearly to avoid confusion.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jruiz

Post by jruiz »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 7:16 am My first suggestion is
  • Mention the FreeCAD version used

Every tutorial should start with clearly stating for which version it was made. Video tutorials should state it in the description or at least within the first 15 seconds.
I think a norm to be adopted would be to start any video tutorial with "About FreeCAD" information.
Regards.
Attachments
aboutFreeCAD.png
aboutFreeCAD.png (300.74 KiB) Viewed 46198 times
Last edited by jruiz on Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have uploaded many FreeCAD video tutorials to my YouTube channel
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Yes, because most of the time no one reads the description of the video.
GeoffG

Post by GeoffG »

I've seen a number of tutorial videos for other software packages where the tutor/demonstrator has a webcam image of themselves on the screen during the tutorial/demo. A lot of the time it just shows them looking at the screen and talking, but at other times they are looking straight into the webcam when they are trying to introduce a new topic, explain something, or just adding commentary.

Do you think that this sort of thing would be useful or appropriate in a FreeCAD tutorial?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sliptonic does this, and his videos are highly appreciated. I like to know who is talking to me, although I don't need to see the author all the time.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
lpburke86

Post by lpburke86 »

chrisb wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 12:35 pm sliptonic does this, and his videos are highly appreciated. I like to know who is talking to me, although I don't need to see the author all the time.

Its also done to aid the hearing impaired in being able to access the videos at the same time. Closed Captions don't always work properly, so if they can see the person speaking, they can at least read their lips...
russ_hensel

Post by russ_hensel »

kisolre wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:25 pm Yes, because most of the time no one reads the description of the video.
Perhaps, but I always do even though they usually have very little content. Is this a chicken and egg problem?
ioblak

Post by ioblak »

All video links are black areas that cannot be clicked on.
Do you have an idea why? (also applies to other members and youtube channels)

I ask the forum moderator to solve this problem.
m_brown

Post by m_brown »

And please be specific about what you are doing, not just what you are thinking.
Tutorials should be something the viewer can learn new skills from, not guessing how you caused something to happen.
Flavpagurus

Post by Flavpagurus »

Greetings,

I am new to FreeCAD. I am trying to do all the tutorials but the links given via Chrisb discussions are not working for me (no errors: I just get a blank page with no signs of activity). Is it because I am in America (in the US)?

I have been doing almost all of them with regards to modeling and beside this downloading issue of Chrisb's PDF for the Sketcher Tutorial I am finding that I got confused by the Assembly 4 module I have added because I suppose that the tutorial may be referencing tools and ways of simplifying the parts tree structure from earlier add_on version. I have tried to follow the discussion around assembly 4 and other upgrades from Assembly 2 to assembly 3 but they are of very high levels for me and the tree structure is probably the area of FreeCAD I struggle the most to visualize and have a grasp on. Also I am truly not at the point where I can adventure myself in following scripts to create simple parts to import and link.

Is there any draft version or portion of a draft version or other references that could help a new user that starts for scratch from Assembly_4 add_on on FreeCAD 0.21.1 ?

Thank you (I will try to make any future post shorter)

Francois