Techdraw Spreadsheet Tip

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Laurie Hartley

Re: Techdraw Spreadsheet Tip

Post by Laurie Hartley »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:28 am ((KISS : keep it stupidly simple))
? Ok x :D

I am away from my computer till Monday but I am looking forward to opening your file.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have inserted a section "Limitations" in the wiki of TechDraw SpreadsheetView. Please have a look and improve it. I would be glad if someone could remove the space character between "& and the following double quotes.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

@Shalmeneser - I couldn’t wait I opened up my computer to examine your file. I see that you have produced the plate with 3 sketches, a pad, and 2 pockets. Given your expertise I am assuming that is a better approach than the way I did it. Can I ask why is that so?

Referring to my original post - apologies for my blunder regarding the x - it was only the ampersand & creating the problem.

I think the spreadsheet and Techdraw workbenches are a great combination. Well done to the developers.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Laurie Hartley wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:05 am ....
Hi Laurie Hartley, hello to the Community!
I confirm the error regarding the "&" in the spreadsheet, a parameter should be entered in which it is possible to choose the type of "Cell Format" (Numeric, textual, Date, etc.).
However, while waiting for the problem to be solved, it can be solved by inserting "Balloons", as in the attached image, and linking them with the spreadsheet.
You can insert a single "Balloon" and then by acting on the "Text Wrap Len" parameter position the cell contents on several lines, or, as in your case, two separate "Balloons" each containing the contents of a cell.
Attachments
Techdraw_Spreadsheet_Balloon.FCStd
(21.84 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
TechDraw_Spreadsheet_Balloon.png
TechDraw_Spreadsheet_Balloon.png (135.14 KiB) Viewed 835 times
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:21 pm And please add where in TechDraw you want to reference the spreadsheet's value.
Actually Chris My drawing is an assembly with about 20 parts in it. There is a separate drawing for each part. My spreadsheet is a bill of quantities with a reference to the relevant drawing for each part. It also includes the weight for each part and calculation of the weights and the total weight of the assembly.

The actual drawing also has a ballon reference to each part and the number in the ballon appears in the first column in the spreadsheet. If that has confused you I am not surprised ;) - I will post a more detailed drawing next week - a picture is worth a thousand words.

@domad thank you for your suggestion - I will have a look at your file tomorrow.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Laurie Hartley wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:11 am I see that you have produced the plate with 3 sketches, a pad, and 2 pockets. Given your expertise I am assuming that is a better approach than the way I did it. Can I ask why is that so?
Your one sketch was too complex for me : too much dimensions. And the fillet could be inside a sketch, fighting TNP (Topological_naming_problem).
The smaller the sketch is, the easier the understanding of this sketch, and the maintaining, and ...
One sketch, one feature for one purpose : the plate, the rectangular pocket, the 4 holes (should use Hole tool here).

I will be able to reference these sketches with Sketcher_External with less risk of TNP.

(but the file is heavier because there are 3 steps of solid)
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:30 am
Your one sketch was too complex for me : too much dimensions. And the fillet could be inside a sketch, fighting TNP
I will be able to reference these sketches with Sketcher_External with less risk of TNP.
Thank you for the feedback - also I have never used the sketcher_external feature. I will try it out on my next project.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks @Roy_043 for editing the wiki. I have checked all characters on my keyboard including special things on ALT+key and found no other non working character.

Edit in blue.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:59 pm other non working character
Please add those then. Thanks.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roy_043 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:30 pm Please add those then. Thanks.
Sorry, I fogot the tiny, but important "no". Edited my post above.