[Feature Request] Creation of the Template as FreeCAD object

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Creation of the Template as FreeCAD object

Post by wandererfan »

We currently look through the template Svg to find the editable texts and insert the green edit handles into the page. It would be possible to insert an editable widget instead and remove the Svg text/tspan elements at printing time. This should give real text when printing (?).
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

bensay wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 12:13 pm...
I like the workbenches as they are. I thought it was your intention to have FreeCAD objects to spare us the use of inkscape. Then some new funktions would be needed.
Else it is "just" a rendering problem to solve. But don't count me in on that, because my C++ knowledge is far too limited.
wandererfan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:11 pm It would be possible to insert an editable widget
Does it mean that I could quickly change font settings for the widget instead of properly edit my template when I'm running low on time?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

FBXL5 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:23 pm Does it mean that I could quickly change font settings for the widget instead of properly edit my template when I'm running low on time?
It would open up the possibility, yes. Maybe a context menu with entries for font, bold, colour, etc.
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

wandererfan wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:20 pm
FBXL5 wrote: Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:23 pm Does it mean that I could quickly change font settings for the widget instead of properly edit my template when I'm running low on time?
It would open up the possibility, yes. Maybe a context menu with entries for font, bold, colour, etc.
Excellent. I sometimes ran into the problem that lines on my template became too short with the hard coded font height. Having the option to reduce the font height to put more characters in a line would have helped a lot.
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

Because i am an incorrigible tinkerer and am prone to going off on a tangent, I had a go at this using the "embed draft object" method with a spreadsheet (I like spreadsheets). I suppose it is a bit long winded ;) Open everything up and Tile the windows.
What I did notice is that the embedded content is exported to pdf but it is not searchable.

Edit: I should have mentioned that I downloaded the Robot font zip file and extracted it to a folder on my hard drive. The font properties in the draft WB are linked to the font type in the folder.
Attachments
A4 Draft WB Template.FCStd
(133.96 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
tobiasfalk

Post by tobiasfalk »

Hi, this thread became kind of silent, so I wanted to know if one of the discussed solutions to the text marking problems will be implemented?
If I am right the following solutions were discussed:
  1. Implementing the Template FreeCAD Techdraw(Qt draw) objekt, maybe with suport of KiCAD template format.
  2. Replacing all the Text of the SVG with FreeCAD TD text, this could be done in the same routine that places the green boxes(please do not forget that there is also the not editable Text).
  3. Finding or creating a libary that takes a SVG export an converts it in to PDF with the text as text(This wasn't discussed directly but it was talked about that is discussed that you could export as SVG and convert it with Inkscape and this gave me the idea that this could be a solution)
In my opinion solution A is the "Holy Grail", but I also understand that this would be more work. Still I hope that this will be implemented some day. This means for the "short term" B and C, from those two B is propaly the better one but B is the solution that is discused in more detail and has more use, like changing the Text settings it self.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

tobiasfalk wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:53 am Hi, this thread became kind of silent, so I wanted to know if one of the discussed solutions to the text marking problems will be implemented?
Not much more to say until somebody has time and enthusiasm to look at this in depth. Template needs work - see posts starting here: https://www.forum.freecadweb.org/viewto ... 9#p618989
tobiasfalk

Post by tobiasfalk »

Ok, thanks for the answer and is insuring that work is done in this region.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

It would be awesome if someone took the lead on improving this feature. WandererFan is super busy with other TechDraw features in the pipeline. More TD devs would be amazing!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Laurie Hartley

Post by Laurie Hartley »

tobiasfalk wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:41 pm The problem with using SVG's as Templates is that the Text in the SVG's is not printeted as Text when exported as PDF.(https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=69791)
I am not sure if I have misunderstood you here but I have justed "printed" to pdf from a drawing propogated with a FreeCAD template and it worked fine and was searchable. See screenshot.

EDIT : I think I have indeed misunderstood. The text I searched for and found was an RTF generated text embedded in the original template. Aplolgies.

EDIT # 2 - I have just read through the whole thread again in detail and I am in the process of removing my foot from my mouth :oops:
Attachments
Techdraw searchable PDF.png
Techdraw searchable PDF.png (29.58 KiB) Viewed 785 times