[Feature Request] Automatic recomputation for each change of view scale, rotation, etc.

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NewJoker
Veteran

[Feature Request] Automatic recomputation for each change of view scale, rotation, etc.

Post by NewJoker »

Hi,

many users (including myself initially: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=66568) are confused by the fact that usually only the first change of scale, rotation and maybe also other parameters of the view is applied automatically. Further changes require recomputation (View --> Recompute object). It may not sound like a big deal but I think that it would be a really good improvement to make the recomputation automatic for each subsequent change of the affected parameters. It would be not only less confusing but also more convenient to work this way.

What are your thoughts about this ? Is it doable ?
user1234
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Automatic recomputation for each change of view scale, rotation, etc.

Post by user1234 »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:22 am What are your thoughts about this ? Is it doable ?
I can say something about the scale. As wandererfan told me, the scaling works in te way --> 3D Object --> Scale the 3D object --> then deviate in 2D. So this can be computing intensive and is not automatic (@wandererfan correct me, if i am wrong). So that is a bigger deal.

Greetings
user1234
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Automatic recomputation for each change of view scale, rotation, etc.

Post by wandererfan »

NewJoker wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:22 am It may not sound like a big deal but I think that it would be a really good improvement to make the recomputation automatic for each subsequent change of the affected parameters. It would be not only less confusing but also more convenient to work this way.
In fact, once upon a time, this was how TechDraw worked, but there were many complaints about long waits after every property update. If your model is large these waits are disruptive. There was quite a bit of effort devoted to NOT recomputing on every property change.

For most properties, a recompute invokes the OCC HLR algorithm, which is computation intensive and not particularly fast. A speedy alternative would help here, but it isn't an easy thing to build.

I don't have a good solution at this time, but I'm open to suggestions.