Issue #7061 - TechDraw: View orientation

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amartynov

Issue #7061 - TechDraw: View orientation

Post by amartynov »

The TechDraw implementation (at least FreeCAD version 0.19 and newer) inserts a view with current projection. This leads to the following issue: when you make something constructed from different parts and want to make individual drawings for all these parts some of them may requires custom rotation to make main axis vertical or horizontal on drawing. For example, object created here: https://github.com/looooo/freecad.frame ... gate.FCStd. The diagonal supports will be inserted with main axis in diagonal direction on page.

Is it possible to make easy view rotation have main axis of part, for example, horizontal on drawing? The current way is not efficient:
1. Measure angle between main axis and horizontal of page.
2. Update View properties.

When overall design changed these to steps needs to be performed again which is not very convenient. Or I miss something from UI?
Last edited by Kunda1 on Thu Jul 07, 2022 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added GH ticket number to thread title
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: View orientation

Post by wandererfan »

amartynov wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:57 am Is it possible to make easy view rotation have main axis of part, for example, horizontal on drawing? The current way is not efficient:
How is the program to determine the main axis? I don't see anything in the properties of Main Diagonal (for example) that could tell me directly what rotation should be applied.

Maybe one day we will have grab handles to make rotating easier, but even then, rotating exactly 34.4180* would take a bit of skill with the mouse.
amartynov

Post by amartynov »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:19 pm
amartynov wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:57 am Is it possible to make easy view rotation have main axis of part, for example, horizontal on drawing? The current way is not efficient:
How is the program to determine the main axis? I don't see anything in the properties of Main Diagonal (for example) that could tell me directly what rotation should be applied.
The use can select any edge which he/she wants to make horizontal or vertical. The step could look like:
1. Select edge.
2. Select command "make vertical" or "make horizontal". The FreeCAD calculates angle and rotates view.

wandererfan wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:19 pm Maybe one day we will have grab handles to make rotating easier, but even then, rotating exactly 34.4180* would take a bit of skill with the mouse.
I think such high skill of mouse to get 34.4180* angle is not for me. :)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

amartynov wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:09 pm The use can select any edge which he/she wants to make horizontal or vertical. The step could look like:
1. Select edge.
2. Select command "make vertical" or "make horizontal". The FreeCAD calculates angle and rotates view.
Yes, with user intervention, this could be done, and no special skill or magic would be required.

issue #7061