Dimension extension lines

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FBXL5

Re: Dimension extension lines

Post by FBXL5 »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:49 pm I can duplicate the ASME gap logic for ISO, but what does the "certain technical fields" mean? Does the gap have to be specified for some dimensions, but not others? Can we just always leave a gap?
I think "certain technical fields" refer to those that use pen plotters to print out (plot) drawings...

A pen plotter is like 3D printer with only a restricted z axis; it can only lift and lower a pen.
On line crossings or at the start of a line (e.g. extension line), when the plotter paused too long after lowering the pen, the amount of ink flowing from the pen could have been too much for the paper to keep it in place until it had dried. It was likely to get dots at such points.

To avoid dots where they don't belong, gaps work fine.

But who really remembers the times of pen plotters? Since ink-jet and laser plotters took over, there's no technical need for gaps on drawings anymore. It seems like a tradition some older people don't want to give up. Gaps found their way into the standards and as they don't do harm to anyone, there's no pressure to remove them.

I only use gaps, when someone who pays for my work insists on having them. To me they are useless.

But in the end it is fine that we are now able to choose to use gaps or not. :mrgreen:
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

Workshop_Notes

Post by Workshop_Notes »

cadcam wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:51 pm See ...
With respect, that document is not really helpful here. It is called 'Guide to British Standards' it references only BS8888 in general.

The two Standards that FC uses (ISO and ASME) are documented in the Wiki and are both available (not necessarily strictly legally) to download as pdfs. So, if we do want to talk of FC's Standard-compliance, we would be better to take our references from the horse's mouth either by including a small extract of the Standard (see post above) or quoting a paragraph number from it.
cadcam

Post by cadcam »

Do you mean ?
BS 8888 2020, 5.2.5.3 Extension Line
... NOTE It is advisable to have a gap between the feature and the beginning of the extension line ....

It is a relative long lived suggestion/convention as it can signifcantly improve the readability of the drawing

See Manual of Brtish Standards in ENGINEERING DRAWING AND DESIGN - BSI 1991 p90
....Projection Lines should start just clear of the outline of the feature and should extend a little beyond the dimension line....

BS8888 may not be ISO/ASME standard but is updated having taken into account
their documentation/documentation changes and is also used as a basis for other national standards.
See https://www.macleod.co.uk/resource-centre/bs-308-8888/

As such is a standard which should be supported (in this case by option) but is heavily based
around defining readable drawings

BW

Attachments
standards-timline-e1582630957449.png
standards-timline-e1582630957449.png (257.74 KiB) Viewed 668 times
Sapan

Post by Sapan »

Hello wandererfan

I want a little help on this topic. I have read this discussion topic and i am looking for a solution to place gap between dimension extension line and body. I saw your reply on fixing preference by link from git but i do not know how to use this link to install or copy the code to my freecad.

Preference should be fixed by git commit 5d93fbe0bb

My Freecad Version as follows
Capture 15.JPG
Capture 15.JPG (50.95 KiB) Viewed 506 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Sapan wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:19 am I want a little help on this topic. I have read this discussion topic and i am looking for a solution to place gap between dimension extension line and body. I saw your reply on fixing preference by link from git but i do not know how to use this link to install or copy the code to my freecad.
Adjustable gaps on extension lines were added in v0.21. You can't add it to v0.20.