[Feature Request] [Extension Tools] Add Dowel Pin Hole symbol to drawing

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
edi

Re: [Feature Request] [Extension Tools] Add Dowel Pin Hole symbol to drawing

Post by edi »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:57 am Is it really common to have the center of gravity (COG) on a technical drawing? Should it be the projection of the object's COG or the COG of the projection?
Knowledge of the COG may be usefull if you have to lift or transport an object.

The macro uses the object's COG in 3D (calculated by OCC) and creates a vertex at its perpendicular projection to the view's plane. This vertex (beneath the symbol) may be used to create informative measures.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@wandererfan please weigh-in on this thread/ticket when you have a moment?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ThanklessLiving

Post by ThanklessLiving »

What standard is this symbol from? I don't remember it from ISO or whatever...

Also, why can't they be marked with just a callout to the parts list? What is the logic behind the special symbol? I don't really see the reason for using this symbol at all since the dowel pin is just another individual part like a nut or washer.
HowThatWorks

Post by HowThatWorks »

There are plenty of pages about how to add the symbol, and I even found a Stack Exchange Engineering post about what the difference between a dowel pin hole and a regular hole is (unanswered, naturally), but no definitive proof that this is anything other than a convention. I only found two references to standards. The first is this thread https://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=135587 which fingers ASME Y14.100, but if there is a reference to it in Y14.100-2017, I can't find it. The second is the title of this video: https://youtu.be/-g-nbfJJHps which alleges that it's part of ASME Y14.5-2009, but that standard doesn't mention a special dowel pin symbol. That video does have one useful comment however:
Paul Beaudoin
2 months ago
This Dowel Pin Symbol is NOT an approved ASME drafting symbol. I've scoured every page of ASME Y14.5-2009. There is NOTHING mentioned about this symbol. This Dowel Pin Symbol is used by the Aerospace Industry ONLY. NO OTHER INDUSTRY. Because of the large airplane parts requires such a small scales (1:100 for example) to fit onto standard engineering paper sizes, the dowel pin holes appear as microscopic dots, hence the reason for the symbol. NO OTHER USAGE OF THIS SYMBOL IS REQUIRED. Someone please try and prove me wrong and quote me a page number of an ASME or ANSI standard that shows this symbol as "official".
So it's not from a standard at all, it's just a convention.