[Feature Request] [Extension Tools] Add Dowel Pin Hole symbol to drawing

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ToniTen

[Feature Request] [Extension Tools] Add Dowel Pin Hole symbol to drawing

Post by ToniTen »

Dowel pins are used to precisely join parts, and the holes for the dowel pins are marked with a special symbol (not on the label, on the actual hole, similar to how threads have special appearance in norm conforming drawings). I've been adding them in Inkscape (not a hard task, but a bit of a hassle) and they're pretty simple. I think that they should be added to the Extension Tools toolbox

For those who don't know, the dowel pin symbol looks like this:
dowel_pin_hole.png
dowel_pin_hole.png (2.27 KiB) Viewed 2329 times
(I've also attached the SVG file that was used as a source)
Attachments
dowel_pin_hole.svg
Source file
(3.78 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
NewJoker
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] [Extension Tools] Add Dowel Pin Hole symbol to drawing

Post by NewJoker »

ToniTen wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:01 am Dowel pins are used to precisely join parts, and the holes for the dowel pins are marked with a special symbol (not on the label, on the actual hole, similar to how threads have special appearance in norm conforming drawings). I've been adding them in Inkscape (not a hard task, but a bit of a hassle) and they're pretty simple. I think that they should be added to the Extension Tools toolbox

For those who don't know, the dowel pin symbol looks like this:
dowel_pin_hole.png
(I've also attached the SVG file that was used as a source)
Good idea :D That's also a COG (center of gravity) symbol, right ? Then, once implemented, it could be used as such as well.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Worth opening a Feature request IMO
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:52 am Worth opening a Feature request IMO
Right, done: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/issues/6759
edi

Post by edi »

Sorry, I did not see this thread earlier.
Find attached a macro creating dowel pin symbols at the center of selected circles.
DowelPinSymbol.FCMacro
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 45 times
Workflow:
- open a TechDraw drawing
- select one or several circles
- start the macro

Please test the macro and give me further desires and comments.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

edi wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:58 pm Please test the macro and give me further desires and comments.
I tested it. Works really nice. But would it be possible to extend its functionality so that it can be used for the center of gravity symbols as well ? This would require placement in an arbitrary location or in the COG computed by the software (but the latter approach can be tricky).
edi

Post by edi »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:03 pm But would it be possible to extend its functionality so that it can be used for the center of gravity symbols as well ?
Find attached a macro creating a dowel pin symbol at the center of gravity of the illustrated shape.
CenterOfGravity.FCMacro
(1.5 KiB) Downloaded 41 times
Workflow:
- open a TechDraw drawing
- select a view illustrating one shape
- start the macro

The macro is working correct if only one shape is illustrated in the selected view, because the center of gravity of the first shape is calculated.

Please test the macro and give me further desires and comments.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

edi wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:30 am Find attached a macro creating a dowel pin symbol at the center of gravity of the illustrated shape.
Great, thanks. Would it be difficult to make it calculate the COG of the final shape ? Perhaps an existing code(like FCInfo macro) could help realize this.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NewJoker wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:51 am Great, thanks. Would it be difficult to make it calculate the COG of the final shape ?
Is it really common to have the center of gravity (COG) on a technical drawing? Should it be the projection of the object's COG or the COG of the projection?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

chrisb wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:57 am Is it really common to have the center of gravity (COG) on a technical drawing? Should it be the projection of the object's COG or the COG of the projection?
Good questions. From what I know, there are no specific rules for that and COG is not included in most of the typical drawings but it can be useful in some cases. For example, one may need to make a simple drawing of a large structure (e.g. heavy equipment) showing just a few important dimensions and COG (or multiple COGs - one for each part) for the purpose of stability evaluation.

It should be a projection of the model's COG, that's what we usually want to find in such cases. It can be difficult to implement this for assemblies but maybe it could work at least for a single body.