[Feature Request] Surface finish symbols [SOLVED]

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: [Feature Request] Surface finish symbols

Post by wandererfan »

edi wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:45 pm But does anybody know a way to include rotated (any angle, not just 90 degree) svg-files ?
The rotation property?
rotatedRoughness.png
rotatedRoughness.png (30.74 KiB) Viewed 2762 times
If you're thinking about the weld symbols, then the tile (QGITile.cpp) contains an Svg image (QGCustomSvg.cpp - really a QGraphicsSvgItem) to which you could apply setRotation or setTransformation.
edi

Post by edi »

Thank you for the hint. I will try to realize the tool, but I will need some weeks.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

edi wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:20 am I will try to realize the tool, but I will need some weeks.
That's great! No rush, a new tool will have to go into v021 anyway.
Papalabu

Post by Papalabu »

Yes I've wachted the video and create the fist Linegroup (5). But I have a problem with the placement of the symbol lines.
When I open the SVG file in a Webbrowser it works fine. When I add die SVG in Freecad 0.19 or 0.20 the position of the symbol doesn't placed on the right position.
I've added the "freecad:editable" in the text.
I don't know why I have to add the "xmls:freecad" with Link in the "svg id" because it works anyway.
NewJoker wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:58 am Likely, it would be hard to make the symbol line adapt to the length of the text field. Thus, I would do it like MangoJelly in that video - just create symbols with a sufficiently long horizontal line to cover most input cases. For now, it should be enough.
I thought so too. But I think it is also hard to use only one line. For example in German u can use "gefräst" or "lackiert" or "laserstrahlgeschnitten" :).
I'm sure we find a solution 8-) .
NewJoker wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 8:58 am It could be more convenient to build symbols from pieces but for the ease of implementation, we might need a separate symbol for each combination. Here's a reference from the aforementioned Polish book:
Ok this is no big problem. attached you find the first symboles Linegroup 5 (with the problem of the placement). I fount out that the simple scale works not for the Linegroup 2,5; 3,5 and 7. Linegroup 10; 14 and 20 can be scaled from 5 and 7. Here a picture that you hopefully know what i mean.
If there is missing a combination, let me know.
Liniengruppe.jpg
Liniengruppe.jpg (89.64 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
edi wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:45 pm The difference between weld symbols and surface finish symbols is, that the second ones have to become rotated in every angle. The surface finish symbol is perpendicular to the line which is representing the surface.
Thats right, but you also can use it in 0° and 90° when you add a reference line (underline with an arrow) placed to the surface.
Beispiele.jpg
Beispiele.jpg (210.04 KiB) Viewed 2570 times
Attachments
Surface_Symbols_05_Version_0.8.7z
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 64 times
edi

Post by edi »

Attached find a macro creating surface finish symbols.
SurfaceSymbols.FCMacro
(6.78 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
TaskSurfaceSymbols.ui
(3.69 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
Installation:
copy the macro SurfaceSymbols.FCMacro and the file TaskSurfaceSymbols.ui into your macro file directory.

Workflow:
- Open a TechDraw document
- Start the macro, a panel in the Combo View openes
SurfaceSymbols01.png
SurfaceSymbols01.png (17.23 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
- select the symbol type using the three icons at the top
- enter desired values for:
RA value
optional: symbol oblique angle
optional: machining operation
optional: allowance
optional: direction of groove marks
- click OK

A symbol holding the desired surface finish symbol is created in the center of the page. Move the symbol to its position.

Examples:
SurfaceSymbols02.png
SurfaceSymbols02.png (27.96 KiB) Viewed 2392 times
Please give me further desires and comments.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

edi wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:05 pm
Thank you very much for sharing this macro. I tested it and it works great. I haven't noticed any issues. I would just add two more symbols if it's not a problem:

symbols.PNG
symbols.PNG (9.23 KiB) Viewed 2367 times

Surface finish symbols are sometimes also made of two of these basic shapes. For example, there can be a symbol consisting of a triangle at the bottom and a circle at the top. Ultimately, such symbols could also be added but for now, it's not so important.

Do you plan to implement this as a built-in feature like your previous TechDraw tools ? It would be awesome. This functionality is very important and highly requested for TechDraw.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

edi wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:05 pm Please give me further desires and comments.
Since you asked. :)
This is according to ISO 1302, I think? Since we support ASME standards for dimensions, how do you feel about adding an ASME Y14.36M compliant option? To my completely inexpert eye, there seems to be quite a bit of similarity.

There is a discussion of both here https://www.cnccookbook.com/surface-fin ... lculators/.
edi

Post by edi »

Find attached version 2 of the macro creating surface finish symbols, having additional features.
SurfaceSymbols02.FCMacro
(9.3 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
TaskSurfaceSymbols02.ui
(4.06 KiB) Downloaded 80 times
Installation:
copy the macro SurfaceSymbols02.FCMacro and the file TaskSurfaceSymbols02.ui into your macro file directory.

New features:
1) ASME style symbols included (hope I understood the explanations)
2) Symbols having an additional circle (I think showing that the symbol is valid for the whole shape)
SurfaceSymbols01.png
SurfaceSymbols01.png (19.44 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
SurfaceSymbols02.png
SurfaceSymbols02.png (11.66 KiB) Viewed 2260 times
Please test the macro and give me further desires and comments.
NewJoker
Veteran

Post by NewJoker »

edi wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:14 am Please test the macro and give me further desires and comments.
I tested this new version. It's really great. Just a little change for ISO symbols that I would suggest - adding annotations different than the provided range of Ra values could be useful. Maybe in form of an option to specify arbitrary text in that location. To make it possible to input Rz values or less common Ra values.
edi

Post by edi »

NewJoker wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:06 am adding annotations different than the provided range of Ra values could be useful.
Imo only the standardised RA values are allowed. If you issue an order how the surface has to be, somebody in the quality assurance has to check it. And how would you check RA 0,75 ? But maybe an expert on surfaces can help us.