Threads in TechDraw

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Michael_HH

Threads in TechDraw

Post by Michael_HH »

I found the Last entriss concerning ISO thread visualization from March 2020. Are there any news
or easy way how to do this?
What will be perfect will be an option to mark the hole (top view) or rectanguar field (cut view)
and mark it as thread. In such case the correct marking should be inserted similar to a simple middle
line, that can already be inserted.

BR,Michael
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Threads in TechDraw

Post by Kunda1 »

Michael_HH wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm BR,Michael
Hello @Michael_HH per our guidelines please remove your FC version info from your signature. It will be confusing for posterity if you keep it the same or alter it. Thank you for your comprehension.

Edit:
also if you choose to run v0.19 please keep up to date with it (you are using an old revision of 0.19)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
maker

Post by maker »

Michael_HH wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:53 pm I found the Last entriss concerning ISO thread visualization from March 2020. Are there any news
or easy way how to do this?
What will be perfect will be an option to mark the hole (top view) or rectanguar field (cut view)
and mark it as thread. In such case the correct marking should be inserted similar to a simple middle
line, that can already be inserted.

BR,Michael
According to the following forum threads:
there is unfortunately not any further progress on this topic to report.
Last edited by maker on Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
reox

Post by reox »

I started with a macro: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... ds#p397091

however the hard part is still to link the information from PD into TD...
maker

Post by maker »

@reox
Thank you very much for the posted link to the created macro.
It was completely new for me, that you apparently already started im May working on a solution for thread representation in TD.

I tried the macro on a simple cube with tapped hole and as far as I understood the functionality, according to current state it creates the correct thread representation according to ISO 6410-1 in TD for the top view. I think this is a very huge and considerable progress in solving the thread representation issue in TD.

The thread representation in the cross section is not developed yet. Especially the representation of a partial thread will be a challenge for development.

Unfortunately I read also in the TD forum about the absence of Developer Wandererfan absence for the foreseeable future https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=51233. :cry:

In your last thread posting you wrote
reox wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:57 pm .
however the hard part is still to link the information from PD into TD...
I also believe that it will not be easy, although I cannot really evaluate this. My current Python programming skills are rather poor. :cry:
But that need not to remain so...
Maybe for a final stage the implementation in PartDesign workbench feature hole https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PartDesign_Hole
will be a very distant goal...
How could one perhaps support you and your efforts?

Kind regards
reox

Post by reox »

maker wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:40 pm I tried the macro on a simple cube with tapped hole and as far as I understood the functionality, according to current state it creates the correct thread representation according to ISO 6410-1 in TD for the top view. I think this is a very huge and considerable progress in solving the thread representation issue in TD.
See the macro as a proof of concept... Wandererfan implemented all these nice cosmetic vertices and edges, and I wanted to try to use them in a macro.
maker wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:40 pm Especially the representation of a partial thread will be a challenge for development.
In theory, all of this is just plugging in some numbers and get out some lines and circles.
For example, to get outer threads in the side view, I would suggest selecting the two (parallel) edges of the shaft and the end (i.e. orthogonal edge). Then a gui pops up to enter thread depth etc or link the information from PD Hole features.
As PD Hole can only be used for internal threads, there must be some individual gui for outside threads anyways... Not sure if there will be a PD feature for outside threads (which would be useful!)
maker wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:40 pm How could one perhaps support you and your efforts?

I personally would be interested in a macro that shows this functionality in principle:
0) select some TD elements on the page (easy enough, see the macros)
1) open a QT dialog (also easy) and ask the user to select a PD feature in the tree
2) print out information about the feature, i.e. PD Hole feature.
3) use that information to paint something in TD
4) BONUS: link the things together somehow and paint on changes in the PD feature
maker

Post by maker »

@reox
Corresponding to your created macro for the Top view thread representation, just one simple idea for drawing the representation for a partial thread in the cross section according ISO 6410-1:
cross-section_thread_2.jpg
cross-section_thread_2.jpg (32.78 KiB) Viewed 4093 times
Could this be a feasible way?
For embedding this feature in a macro, a "cosmetic square" function would be the necessary prerequisite here...

I do not know how big the skripting effort will be for creating such a function.
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

Right now, you can go to the label for the dimension (created with the macro) and go to the formula editor to link the label to the actual value from the PD Hole. Assuming the hole operation is called Hole, then you need to input <<Hole>>.ThreadSize

How to modify the macro to find the operation that created the hole is unfortunately beyond my skill
andergrin

Post by andergrin »

Whoever can implement threads, will make a huge step towards professional usage of TechDraw. It's only few things (pitch circle of holes is second), that’s stop me from fully using TechDraw in production.
Attachments
2020-11-10 143134.jpg
2020-11-10 143134.jpg (21.07 KiB) Viewed 3954 times
ToniTen

Post by ToniTen »

andergrin wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:35 pm Whoever can implement threads, will make a huge step towards professional usage of TechDraw. It's only few things (pitch circle of holes is second), that’s stop me from fully using TechDraw in production.
I have the same exact issue. TechDraw (and many other FreeCAD features) are almost ready for prime time. Keyword being almost, as in you can see it happening some time in the future, but right now, it's just not. The macro linked before is a huge step forward, and I hope something similar ends up integrated in a stable version. A few years ago, nothing like what we do now in TechDraw was possible, and now, the end seems to be in sight, so let's not lose hope.