InsertMultiple View Dialog

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
catman

InsertMultiple View Dialog

Post by catman »

Is there a way that the "Insert Multiple View" dialog remembers its settings from last use?

When I have multiple drawings for part components with non-standard settings. Each time I need to set the same settings again.
* Scale Combo Box
* CustomScale Edit fields
* Auto Distribute checkbox
* Spacing Edit fields
* Projection selection
* Projection

Is there a way to make TD remember my last settings (in a session only)?

PS: just a hint
In that dialog whenchanging the X/Y-Spacing it is quite useless to use the scroll wheel or the up/down buttons, because for each step change, it re-calculates the views. That takes several seconds ony my PC (quad core CPU) - even for rather simple parts with 3 directions. I noted that the dialog has an "Apply" button. Maybe the GUI is more responsive if the update is omitted for the two edit fields. Or a delay is added to allow setting the value with the mouse (maybe 2-3sec).
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: InsertMultiple View Dialog

Post by wandererfan »

catman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 am Is there a way that the "Insert Multiple View" dialog remembers its settings from last use?
I don't know of a standard method of storing session "variables" in FC. I'll have a look.
When I have multiple drawings for part components with non-standard settings. Each time I need to set the same settings again.
* Scale Combo Box
* CustomScale Edit fields
* Auto Distribute checkbox
* Spacing Edit fields
* Projection selection
* Projection
There should be a preference setting for all of these. So you could change those at the beginning of the session, but then you'd have to change them back at the end of the session.

Maybe we need preference "profiles"?

PS: just a hint
In that dialog whenchanging the X/Y-Spacing it is quite useless to use the scroll wheel or the up/down buttons, because for each step change, it re-calculates the views. That takes several seconds ony my PC (quad core CPU) - even for rather simple parts with 3 directions. I noted that the dialog has an "Apply" button. Maybe the GUI is more responsive if the update is omitted for the two edit fields. Or a delay is added to allow setting the value with the mouse (maybe 2-3sec).
uwestoehr wrote:ping. Somebody else that doesn't like auto updates.
catman

Post by catman »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:28 pm There should be a preference setting for all of these. So you could change those at the beginning of the session, but then you'd have to change them back at the end of the session.
Wonderful, all items are there. That is a fine workaround. :D

Maybe we need preference "profiles"?
Instead the feature that a view dialog remembes the last values? Better not.
Generally? Don't know. Never missed it, can't even say if other CAD tools had that or not.

May I add a more general question about that InsertMultipleViews dialog?
I noted that it takes my current 3D view direction as starting point. I had not yet the case that I needed a non- standard view in the ISO drawing. Instead I keep forgetting to set my 3D view accordingly all the time. Is that on purpose, or just a current limitation?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

catman wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:03 am In that dialog whenchanging the X/Y-Spacing it is quite useless to use the scroll wheel or the up/down buttons, because for each step change, it re-calculates the views.
Yes, that is the idea - you make a change and see the result. Why is is "useless"? FC uses this behavior in other workbenches too (Part Design, Part, Sketcher etc.)
If you don't want to wait long, don't make several changes in a row.
Note that you can type in the number for the spacing you like and a recomputation is then first executed when you finish the editing.
catman

Post by catman »

uwestoehr wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:54 pm Why is is "useless"? FC uses this behavior in other workbenches too (Part Design, Part, Sketcher etc.)
If you don't want to wait long, don't make several changes in a row.
is quite useless to use the scroll wheel or the up/down buttons,
I referred to the buttons and wheel use only. Because the idea behind wheel or up/dn buttons is interactivity. A several sec response for each step I have not seen anywhere else in FreeCAD where this is used. I can not see anyone using that. But if you say its not a bug but desired behaviour, I personally think that it would be improved by a delay of some kind. I pointed that out. If you don't like that idea thats fine, too ;)
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

catman wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:12 am I referred to the buttons and wheel use only. Because the idea behind wheel or up/dn buttons is interactivity.
Then we agree here. For simple designs this is the case - you press the spin buttons and see immediately the change.

That a recomputation could take seconds is a typical issue with CAD in general. For example I designed using Solidworks for about 10 years and despite I got a new PC every 2 years from my boss, e.g. models with patterned features took ages when creating a technical drawing.
In improvement in my experience was is RAM (for patterned features) and CPU power where the single core runs as fast as possible because only one core will be used for the recomputation.

When i started to use FC for real-world designs, I convinced my boss to invest in a new CPU and that helped a lot (Intel i7-8700K). At home I upgraded now to a Ryzen 5 3600X and this is even faster than the i7).
catman

Post by catman »

uwestoehr wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 1:09 pm CPU and that helped a lot (Intel i7-8700K). At home I upgraded now to a Ryzen 5 3600X and this is even faster than the i7).
Interesting. I would not have thought that those buttons become fluent with an CPU upgrade. I just can judge my PC, which has been fast enough for my FC designs so far. But you are right, some tasks running on a single thread are impacted primarily on older CPUs.