Missing lines - Section view of multiple bodies

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
cehjan

Missing lines - Section view of multiple bodies

Post by cehjan »

I have a problem how to create a section view.

1.I draw 2 bodies
2. I make a view
3. I make a section view

Freecad does everything Ok but do not draw lines where the bodies touch i.e. they are hidden behind hatch. Both bodies have the same hatch?
I don't know if I'm wrong or ... Look at the picture and the file

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.18719 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c021ff70debb106b27d03ed1707f4b05fcf385a6
Python version: 3.6.7
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
test.FCStd
(23.32 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
2019-12-30_213213.jpg
2019-12-30_213213.jpg (101.65 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
2019-12-30_213120.jpg
2019-12-30_213120.jpg (111.51 KiB) Viewed 1960 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Missing lines - Section view of multiple bodies

Post by Kunda1 »

cehjan wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:38 pm Version: 0.19.18719 (Git)
FYI, you are using an obsolete 0.19 revision. Right now we're at r19111 for Windows. Please test again and report back.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
cehjan

Post by cehjan »

I tried on the latest version but I get the same. I have watched various techdraw tutorials but no one makes drawings for multiple bodies or assemblies.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19111 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: a9f820470b8a0df72291b99e66ea14e0dc8c2164
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

cehjan wrote: Mon Dec 30, 2019 8:38 pm Freecad does everything Ok but do not draw lines where the bodies touch i.e. they are hidden behind hatch. Both bodies have the same hatch?
What is your setting for FuseBeforeSection on the View tab?
test_multibodyMissingLines.png
test_multibodyMissingLines.png (225.67 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
cehjan

Post by cehjan »

FuseBeforeSection, nice, its working. Thank you. Is there a way to set this as the default setting?

One more thing if you have time. Both bodies have the same hatch, can techdraw module automatically put different hatch (i.e. same but at different angle or scale). I know how to manually do this, but it's quite tiring when you make a cross-section of multiple bodies with more complex geometry.

I hope I have helped with these issues not only to me but also to other people.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

cehjan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:33 am FuseBeforeSection, nice, its working. Thank you. Is there a way to set this as the default setting?
You'll need to use the Parameter Editor (Tools > Edit parameters...) to set the default.
fuseFirstParameter.png
fuseFirstParameter.png (95.26 KiB) Viewed 1855 times
If "Mod/TechDraw/General/SectionFuseFirst" exists and is set to "true", just change it to "false".

If "Mod/TechDraw/General/SectionFuseFirst" isn't there, you'll have to add a new "New Boolean item" for "SectionFuseFirst" and set it to "false".
One more thing if you have time. Both bodies have the same hatch, can techdraw module automatically put different hatch (i.e. same but at different angle or scale). I know how to manually do this, but it's quite tiring when you make a cross-section of multiple bodies with more complex geometry.
No, all the cut surfaces get the same hatch. How would you decide programmatically which hatch to apply to which face? The only "rule" I know is if it looks funny, change the angle of one of the hatches.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:58 pm You'll need to use the Parameter Editor (Tools > Edit parameters...) to set the default.
Is there a way to prompt the user on their first usage of TD if this is something they want to enable by default?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:45 pm Is there a way to prompt the user on their first usage of TD if this is something they want to enable by default?
If the user never does anything, this parameter defaults to true, which is the right choice most of the time.

Is this first use parameter check implemented anywhere?
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Well, I've been using Techdraw for real world purposes since end of June 2017 and I've never needed to change/touch or know about this parameter but then if I'm drawing an assembly I wouldn't go about it as the OP suggests though there's nothing wrong with that method but then I use Blender alongside FreeCAD to help the fitters 'see' what's really going on with colours and transparency.

@Kunda1, I understand where you're coming from but there has to be a threshold when it comes to FreeCAD helping users out. I've just spent the past week learning rigging in Blender for real mechanical purposes, again to help the people assembling be able to move virtual parts around and see what the consequences of restricted access, pipe routing etc. There's been times when I've spent hours trying to get Inverse Kinematics do what I want but I persevered and now I understand (a lot more) as to how it works not just doing something parrot fashion. Maybe this is one area where we have differing views.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

@Syres not to go too off topic, check out https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=36424 to see what I mean.