LeaderLine and RichTextAnno Alpha Release

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: LeaderLine and RichTextAnno Alpha Release

Post by wandererfan »

bitacovir wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:54 pm 1) Draw a wall in ArchWB >select the wall and create an Arch Section
2) Create a default page in TechDraw > Select the Arch section and create a Section plane View
3) Select the section Plane view and change the scale to 0.03
4) Select the section plane view and create a LeaderLine
5) Select the leader line and switch the Scalable property to True. The line disappears in the page view.
Here I share an example file.
Excellent instructions, thanks!

The leader is still there, but it is scaled to 0.03 of it's original size. The original leader is now smaller than the (unscaled) arrowhead. We can see this if we change the StartSymbol property to a style that lets the leader line show through.
VerySmallLeader.png
VerySmallLeader.png (10.08 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
This makes me wonder if the LeaderLine should scale with the view to which it is attached. Maybe it should behave differently - a) not scale at all, and use the edit points function to change the size of the line, or b) have it's own scale property independent of the parent view.

I don't know enough about drawing in the real world to decide what is the right answer. Have to rely on you Subject Matter Experts to guide me.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:28 pm
Excellent instructions, thanks!

The leader is still there, but it is scaled to 0.03 of it's original size. The original leader is now smaller than the (unscaled) arrowhead. We can see this if we change the StartSymbol property to a style that lets the leader line show through.
VerySmallLeader.png

This makes me wonder if the LeaderLine should scale with the view to which it is attached. Maybe it should behave differently - a) not scale at all, and use the edit points function to change the size of the line, or b) have it's own scale property independent of the parent view.

I don't know enough about drawing in the real world to decide what is the right answer. Have to rely on you Subject Matter Experts to guide me.
Ohh. I see. I understand. So, there is no bug. Well, this is a good example of differences between Mechanical design drawings and Architectural design drawings (I'm Architect). For architectural projects we need to scale down a lot the drawings to show walls, roof, ext. in a A3 or A1 paper.
Now, the symbols should have an independent scale ratio. Not linked to the scale of the parent view, because they are part of the information in the Techdraw drawing for printing, not in the 3D world of the model. This way they can be used for both architecture and for mechanical drawings. Not to take action is also an option, because these symbols are "visible" enough in their standard size. Thus, the scale option in False is fine.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

bitacovir wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:34 am The format change when I select texts in the window.
Should be fixed by git commit de3715908e.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:17 pm
Should be fixed by git commit de3715908e.
Yea! Well done.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

In the process of carrying out some tech drawings for a customer, I came across some further anomolies with the DrawLeaderLine function.
So I put together the attached example file to replicate the fault. All four DrawLeaderLines were created in succession with no other operations in between.
The first three are generated where I created the points, the fourth has been generated approx 75mm to the right of where I created the points i.e. it should point to the Octagon.

The other anomoly found is I have started to create a new DrawLeaderLine and then changed my mind (awkward user :D ), Discarded the points and cancelled out of DrawLeaderLine. The Task Dialog closes but the 'points generator' is still active.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.17128 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 3c205946e2b272ff3557046ff2e55376ea78aa61
Python version: 3.6.6
Qt version: 5.6.2
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: English/UnitedKingdom (en_GB)
Attachments
TestTechdrawLL.FCStd
(19.32 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Syres wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am The first three are generated where I created the points, the fourth has been generated approx 75mm to the right of where I created the points i.e. it should point to the Octagon.
DrawLeaderLine003 is parented to DrawLeadeLiner002. It should be parented to View. If you change the "Leader Parent" property then DrawLeaderLine003 will point to the Octagon. I've done this a few times in testing when creating multiple Leaders. Click on the View before creating the Leader and everything should work right.
Leader3BelongsToLeader2.png
Leader3BelongsToLeader2.png (36.76 KiB) Viewed 1268 times
Maybe I should clear the Selection at end of Leader creation.
Syres wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am The other anomoly found is I have started to create a new DrawLeaderLine and then changed my mind (awkward user :D ), Discarded the points and cancelled out of DrawLeaderLine. The Task Dialog closes but the 'points generator' is still active.
A quick look suggests that there is a missing line of code in the Cancel routine. If that's it, it should get fixed sometime today.

Thanks for testing.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:00 pm DrawLeaderLine003 is parented to DrawLeadeLiner002. It should be parented to View.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll have to be more methodical when I'm adding a bunch of them at once and maybe slow down a little!!
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Syres wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:03 am The other anomoly found is I have started to create a new DrawLeaderLine and then changed my mind (awkward user :D ), Discarded the points and cancelled out of DrawLeaderLine. The Task Dialog closes but the 'points generator' is still active.
This commit git commit 916fe7ced3 should remove the tracker debris on Cancel.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:23 pm This commit git commit 916fe7ced3 should remove the tracker debris on Cancel.
Thanks Wandererfan, tested successfully with 0.19.17144 build.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »