TechDraw Wiki Pages

Discussions about the development of the TechDraw workbench
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: TechDraw Wiki Pages

Post by wandererfan »

uwestoehr wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:59 am The term "line" confused me and now that I know what ISO stands for, I see that in most places they call it "curve". I think the term "curve" makes is clear what is meant. OK that I rename it?
OpenCascade uses line.

Code: Select all

HLRBRep_HLRToShape (const Handle< HLRBRep_Algo > &A)
TopoDS_Shape IsoLineVCompound()
TopoDS_Shape IsoLineHCompound ()
We should stay consistent with OCC, even though the things are curves in the general case, and only become line segments in special cases.

I've never had a question about these lines. Not sure they are used much in real life.
Then let's just remove it from the UI file for now. OK that I make a PR?
Sure.
I cannot find a way to get this color on creation time. When I create a new section View I always get the section cut hatched. Where can I set that new sections get the cut plane colored?

Code: Select all

CutSurfaceDisplay.setEnums(CutSurfaceEnums);
    ADD_PROPERTY_TYPE(CutSurfaceDisplay,((long)2),fgroup, App::Prop_None, "Appearance of Cut Surface");
Hard coded to 2/SvgHatch. Should be a preference for initial value. Will add a preference entry.
There is a bug because setting the color to blue, creating a new section view does not color the section line. Also, the view containing the section line has no property to change the section line color.
QGISectionLine has the wrong preference path. Fix in progress. IMO we don't need a property on the individual views. Why would you use different coloured lines on different sections?
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 pm OpenCascade uses line.
OK then.
Hard coded to 2/SvgHatch. Should be a preference for initial value. Will add a preference entry.
Thanks.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 pm IMO we don't need a property on the individual views. Why would you use different coloured lines on different sections?
I won't need it. But that doesn't mean other users want this.
I think everything that can be set using the preferences should be changeable vie properties. No matter if we think people will use it or not.
renatorivo
Veteran

Post by renatorivo »

uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

wandererfan wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:54 pm
Then let's just remove it from the UI file for now. OK that I make a PR?
Sure.
Here it is: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/3249
catman

Post by catman »

Hello,

I noted that when using TechDraw after using Sketcher for a few days intensively I am quite thrown off that vertices are selected with CTRL-Click in TechDraw (CMD-Click in Mac I believe) and SHIFT-Click in Sketcher. Also I kee pressing SHIFT-V and SHIFT-H to get the most often used dimension tools. Pressing SHIFT-H/V nothing seems to happen. In case that is really not already used in TechDraw - is there any reason not to use the same default keys than in Sketcher. I think in the final product there are not many people using TechDraw who did not use Sketcher at some point before. The differences will seem rather weird. Maybe harmonizing it now is better than waiting longer.

Concerning the short cut keys, I think that all major dimensioning tools should have a default key (in Sketcher this could be added for Radius and Diameter).

I would like to add an informatoni to the Wiki page of TechDraw. I would add the difference and the absence of short cuts. If available I would like to add an information why.
Is that OK?

Also please note that I added a small section "General HowTos" in the end of the main page. Imho there is not place yet where gerneral usage infos can be given that are not complex enough for an own tutorial. My hope is to have a place where findings from the forum can be added when the may be coming up from several users or when they seem blocking items for new or non-frequent users. From own hours of searching the forum I know that sometimes only one sentence is all you need. You just need to find the keywords that filter out the question... This one wiki sentence is done very quickly with little effort.
If you have a better suggestion, please tell.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

catman wrote: Sat Jul 25, 2020 9:28 pm Also please note that I added a small section "General HowTos" in the end of the main page. ...
Many thanks for your work and feedback.

The main page in the Wiki for a workbench is designed to list other pages describing certain features. TD's main page has already at the bottom a section "Tutorials". For your how to, please create a new page (you can clone this page: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Measurement ... s_On_Holes ).
There you can describe e.g. how to set center marks.

Finally link this new page in the main page under "Tutorials".
are selected with CTRL-Click in TechDraw (CMD-Click in Mac I believe) and SHIFT-Click in Sketcher.
Every workbench has its ownshortcuts. But it is not as you describe.
* Sketcher: select single vertex: just left-click on it
select several vertices: just left-click on them, no need to hold any other key
* TechDraw: select single vertex: just left-click on it
select several vertices: Ctrl + left-click on them

The Sketcher workbench is an exception in this respect to the other workbenches
Pressing SHIFT-H/V nothing seems to happen.
Yes, but why should it. As you can see in the TechDraw menu, there are no shortcuts implemented.

If you want to have this shortcut, please open a new thread that we can discus what shortcuts should be added.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 am If you want to have this shortcut, please open a new thread that we can discus what shortcuts should be added.
I already opened now this thread: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=48980
(and also implemented the 2 shortcuts you proposed)
catman

Post by catman »

uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 am For your how to, please create a new page (you can clone this page: https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Measurement ... s_On_Holes ).
OK, I'll do that.
uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 am Every workbench has its ownshortcuts. But it is not as you describe.
* Sketcher: select several vertices: just left-click on them, no need to hold any other key
* TechDraw: select several vertices: Ctrl + left-click on them
Cool. Did that for years now with SHIFT-Click in Sketcher. :lol:
Still since this is an unexpected different form a UI desing point of view, I think it should be noted in the wiki. Objections that I add it to the main page?
uwestoehr wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:54 am Yes, but why should it.
I just wanted to make sure I did not overlook already implemented short cuts. Having non is not good, I appreciate ver ymuch your move to open a new thread.
uwestoehr
Veteran

Post by uwestoehr »

catman wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:20 pm Objections that I add it to the main page?
Yes, I have. As I wrote in my previous post the main page is not designed for that purpose.

I assume this is already described somewhere. If not add it to the appropriate page, e.g. a tutorial page.