Experience: shortcuts to Transform Tool

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
catman

Experience: shortcuts to Transform Tool

Post by catman »

I just want to share an experience and invite to test it.

Since the Link3 feature it has been really a joy working with larger projects and more complex assemblies in FreeCAD. In that time the transform tool has become my most favourite tool. I use it with every workbench.

TransformTool_illustration.png
TransformTool_illustration.png (110.67 KiB) Viewed 1057 times
The Transform tool is one of my most often used tools

When working with FreeCAD I use it countless times a day. Since outside Realthunders Assembly3 WB it has no keyboard shortcut I have assigned it to the F4 key. In Asm3 its assigned to the A-A key combination. In most WBs it does not have an own button. By default it can only be reached by Edit/Transform menu.

Like the recently changed one-key short cuts in Sketcher ('L' and 'I') made working in Sketcher so much more efficient I would like to encourage my fellow users to try out assigning F4 to the transform tool and tell if they think that is a good choice. I have tried other keys before and found that the best and most intuitive solution so far.

In think in Linux and Windows there is no conflicting assignment, I do not know about MacOS.
MisterMaker

Re: Experience: shortcuts to Transform Tool

Post by MisterMaker »

Don't you feel like transform should be a feature in the feature tree?
catman

Re: Experience: shortcuts to Transform Tool

Post by catman »

MisterMaker wrote: Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:43 pm Don't you feel like transform should be a feature in the feature tree?
Sorry for the late reply.

It is in the feature tree for some workbenches.
But you are right, a permanent spot in the tree would be more intuitive. I thinks thats worth a space in the tree context menu.

I think there should be both a short cut key and a easy-to-reach menu entry.