Turning Zolko's theme in to a Preference Pack

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Turning Zolko's theme in to a Preference Pack

Post by drmacro »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:42 pm drmacro, do you have the config files available on github somewhere? Lets put this thing together :)
I have the package.xml file here
I admit, I have not a complete understanding what is in a config and what is in a pack and where/if they overlap.

I'm actually wondering if the current pack functionality is up to handling a set "new user" setups that is extensive enough to be nearly comprehensive.

Maybe a good place to start would be make a list of things that need (or would be nice) to be provided with "setups".
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Putting this here because it happens to involve the Zolko config.

I had added this macro/icon to global as well, but both the macro and the icon seem to be missing.

offset3DCurve.FCMacro

Is this local?

Web searches don't seem to find any mention...not is it resident in Addon manager.
Attachments
offset3dcurve.png
offset3dcurve.png (71.6 KiB) Viewed 1189 times
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

drmacro wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:20 pm offset3DCurve.FCMacro

Is this local?
yes, this is a very special macro of mine, with limited (but extremely useful for me) functionality: it allows to offset an airfoil section in its own 3D plane to compensate for the skin thickness, and make either a wire or a sketch of it, that can then be edited for additional features. It's undocumented, there are no error checks, it expects - and fails miserably if it doesn't get it - smooth airfoil coordinates ...

Obviously, it should be removed for a general purpose user config
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Here's the git repo I created https://github.com/luzpaz/ZolkoPreferencePack

The .cfg file isn't ready. The Preference pack saved .cfg apparently isn't sophisticated enough to copy over many of the important user.cfg parameters. So I'm eyeballing them and moving the ones that seem relevant.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:49 pm The Preference pack saved .cfg apparently isn't sophisticated enough to copy over many of the important user.cfg parameters. So I'm eyeballing them and moving the ones that seem relevant.
Feel free to submit a PR that updates the template files 8-)

https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/tree ... kTemplates
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chennes wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:31 pm Feel free to submit a PR that updates the template files 8-)

Yikes, I meant no disrespect for your efforts and work :oops:

I'm trying to reconcile between Zolko's config files in https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/f ... ?id=198463
and his Preference pack generated .conf file https://forum.freecadweb.org/download/f ... ?id=198467
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:53 pm Yikes, I meant no disrespect for your efforts and work :oops:
I didn't take it as such, I'm just recruiting help :D . Lots of people around here have the skills to create Pref Pack templates, no coding is needed!
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

chennes wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:31 pm Feel free to submit a PR that updates the template files 8-)

it seems to me that the MainWindowLayout config doesn't really store the layout of the main window. What I see in the PreferencePack is the state (enabled/disabled) of docked windows, but not their positions. Also, in the new config directory (~/.config/FreeCAD/) there is a new file FreeCAD.conf which seems to contain Qt version specific data in clear text and byte-array format, which might contain this position info. Same remark for toolbars, they don't seem to be controlled by the PreferencePack, at least not their position.

Am I misunderstanding something ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I'm not sure if this is pref pack related...

But, I set axis cross on, and frames per second off.

When I start FC again they are off & on respectively.

I changed them from Tools>Edit parameters and they stuck.

Same with navigation style, I've had to set it through Tools> because it wouldn't stick if changed in Edit>Preferences.

Just noting the anomaly. (This may just be some local thing, or something in the latest source from git/0.21)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

@chennes I'm trying to get a feel for the possibilities (limitations?) of the pref pack.

It essentially saves the parameter tree shown with Tools>Edit parameters??

Are templates described in the wiki XML of the things I might otherwise add by hand or programmatically to the parameters?

Would it be possible to add workbenches (for example, making a custom setup that could be chosen for a specific type of work, say that needed the Curves workbench.) in a pre/post Python script? Or is that something a template could do?

And how would one include a stylesheet?