Part vs body Icon

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: Part vs body Icon

Post by MisterMaker »

How it looks in my blue color theme.
Freecad colors:
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:02 pm ....
+1
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:48 am For existing bodies and parts (mostly in tree) part vs body 2.png
For new creation part vs body 2 create new.png
making them the same color looks like it would just make things worse...

Changing the icon was tried before and for some reason reverted again: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 6981cf15e1
discussion about that change: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=56253

@Zolko do you recall why the change was reverted again?

edit: found it, I asked for it myself :lol: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 37#p517937
Any change proposal to the part container icon should take into account coherence with assembly icon IMO
Last edited by adrianinsaval on Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:31 pm
MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:48 am For existing bodies and parts (mostly in tree) part vs body 2.png
For new creation part vs body 2 create new.png
making them the same color looks like it would just make things worse...

Changing the icon was tried before and for some reason reverted again: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/comm ... 6981cf15e1
The colors are not just colors, blue is original/not changed and yellow is additive. So with the part the container is yellow and the body inside is blue as not changed.
So new body should be yellow and new part should also be yellow.

Making the new part icon yellow and not the new body icon is not correct.
But when they are both yellow and look a like then, you need too change the body icon so it doesn't look like the part icon anymore just like I did.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I don't think it's a good idea to use the additive/original color code for containers as it was meant to communicate the underlying boolean op of the tool, if you want to convey the meaning of creation in the command icon I suggest a green + sign instead.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

I have used the green plus for inserting g-code. I feel it's more suited for inserting text or documents.
But I don't see any reason why the colors won't work, SOLIDWORKS used almost only 2 colors.
The topic about the part container is interesting tho have too check out the assembly icon and usage if it's still in.
Although making it possible to ad parts in parts pretty much ruined everything :o . I'm not sure if that was a good idea, it pretty much made everything twice as complicated.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:19 pm I have used the green plus for inserting g-code. I feel it's more suited for inserting text or documents.
Well containers are document structure objects so IMO it is not necessary to base the icons on modelling feature color codes, but I can't stop you from using those colors if that is what looks better to you. Considering how small the icons are in the tree view you would really need to make them very noticeable geometrically different if they would have the same color.
Although making it possible to ad parts in parts pretty much ruined everything :o . I'm not sure if that was a good idea, it pretty much made everything twice as complicated.
Stockholm syndrome :P you are still missing the arbitrary limitations solidworks puts on your models, the other day I was using solidworks and I hated it, really missed FreeCAD, can't even have 3 scaled copies of the same object, easily manually positioned, without making a stupid separate assembly file :roll: :roll:
The flexibility in FreeCAD is what makes it great so IMO it was a great idea to have parts within parts, assembly 4 dev would most likely agree on this too as it heavily uses parts within parts.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

But can you still call it a part if it's consist off other parts?
I guess this debate has been done before, since the std_part is called a lot of other things as I have noticed now. And you can switch too assembly....
Also
Xzibit 19072022222556.jpg
Xzibit 19072022222556.jpg (62.52 KiB) Viewed 1070 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

MisterMaker wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 9:49 pm But can you still call it a part if it's consist off other parts?
Yes, absolutely. If you have an aircraft and you take out the starter/generator you consider that a part, but it in turn has several parts: stator, rotor, brushes, bearings, etc. and some of those are also comprised of multiple parts too.