FreeCAD Orbit styles

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
gbParametric

FreeCAD Orbit styles

Post by gbParametric »

Hey everybody, I'm new to this forum, this is my first post actually,
so if I'm saying or formating something wrong, I wanna say sorry beforehand .

Some context (where im comming from)

I'm structural engineer, I have been working in this field for around 10 years.
I have worked on most of popular CAD programms in the field (AutoCAD,ArchiCad,Revit,Tekla Structures,Rhino3d And some FEM applcations).
I still have alot to learn but I feel like I have decent grip on these programms and how they work.
I have been learning coding for past few years on and off, and been developing some plugins in Rhino3d(Grasshopper) and Tekla Structures.

The problem what im having

Both orbit styles (Turntable and Trackball) feel unresponsive to work with.
I almost dropped the idea of learning FreeCAD and joining this community, because of this.
But then I decieded to try and fix the problems that I'm having.

Trackball

When working in this mode, I always end up with the view, that has scewed horizon, which really messes up my
workflow, because I have to readjust the view.
Capture1.PNG
Capture1.PNG (141.94 KiB) Viewed 1155 times
Turntable

This mode feels like the program itself is lagging. When I hold my rotation button, and move the mouse diagonally,
the view rotates either around horizontal or by vertical axis but not by both, and to make things worse it switches between them both.
While working on this mode I kinda got used to it after some hours, but it still could be a dealbreaker for some people.

You can see in this gif, that when when i rotate around the view is stuttering abit
(Switching between rotation around vertical and horizontal axis)
The solution I made for myself

Beforehand, keep in mind that my knowledge in coding and qaternions is limited,
so this will probably look like a hack for some people, but maybe some with larger knowledge
in these things can suggest better solution.

I modifed the "getRotation" method in NavigationStyle.cpp, to get the desired functionality

Code: Select all

SbRotation getRotation(const SbVec3f& point1, const SbVec3f& point2)
	{
		SbRotation rot = inherited::getRotation(point1, point2);

if( orbit == Trackball )
			return rot;
		// 0000333: Turntable camera rotation
		SbVec3f axis;
		float angle;
		rot.getValue(axis, angle);

SbVec3f dif = point1 - point2;

SbRotation rot1;
		SbRotation rot2;

float dx = abs(dif[ 0 ]) / ( abs(dif[ 0 ]) + abs(dif[ 1 ]) );
		if( dx < 0 )
			dx = -dx;
		float dy = 1 - dx;
		float angle1 = angle * dy;
		float angle2 = angle * dx;

SbVec3f xaxis(1, 0, 0);
		if( dif[ 1 ] < 0 )
			angle1 = -angle1;
		rot1.setValue(xaxis, angle1);

SbVec3f zaxis(0, 0, 1);
		this->worldToScreen.multDirMatrix(zaxis, zaxis);
		if( zaxis[ 1 ] < 0 )
		{
			if( dif[ 0 ] < 0 )
				angle2 = -angle2;
		}
		else
		{
			if( dif[ 0 ] > 0 )
				angle2 = -angle2;
		}
		rot2.setValue(zaxis, angle2);
		rot = rot1*rot2 ;

return rot;
	}
After changing this, some camera skew started accumulating(maybe because floating point errors ??),
but I had no idea why, so did a hack where I modifed the 'spin_simplified'(Got rotation matrix from camera and made the component that's
responsible for skew to 0)

Code: Select all

void NavigationStyle::spin_simplified(SoCamera* cam, SbVec2f curpos, SbVec2f prevpos)
{
	assert(this->spinprojector != nullptr);

// 0000333: Turntable camera rotation
	SbMatrix mat;
	viewer->getSoRenderManager()->getCamera()->orientation.getValue().getValue(mat);
	this->spinprojector->setWorkingSpace(mat);

this->spinprojector->project(prevpos);
	SbRotation r;
	this->spinprojector->projectAndGetRotation(curpos, r);
	float sensitivity = getSensitivity();
	if( sensitivity > 1.0f )
	{
		SbVec3f axis;
		float radians;
		r.getValue(axis, radians);
		radians = sensitivity * radians;
		r.setValue(axis, radians);
	}
	r.invert();

this->reorientCamera(cam, r);

//trick to remove tilt from camera
	auto orientation = viewer->getSoRenderManager()->getCamera()->orientation.getValue();
	SbMatrix myMat;
	myMat.setRotate(orientation);
	myMat[ 0 ][ 2 ] = 0;
	viewer->getSoRenderManager()->getCamera()->orientation.setValue(SbRotation{myMat});

}
And finaly I changed for RevitNavigationStyle to this method(spin_simplified(viewer->getSoRenderManager()->getCamera(),posn, prevnormalized)) instead of regular "Spin"(Line number:211 in RevitNavigationStyle.cpp).

Desired result

You can hardly see the diference between this and turntable, but when working,
this feels so much better and more smooth.

Finally

I really appreciate the work you have been doing here guys. I have been lurking in this forum for a while, and wanted to write this post
long time ago, but didn't really have time to try to solve this problem. Hope this helps someone, or atleast begins the discussion about this problem.

EDIT: Added aditional gifs to explain my point better. Added more precise explanation about parameters for spin_simplified bethod.

btw,I can use regular "spin" method as well, just by adding the skew removal code at the end.
Last edited by gbParametric on Tue Jun 07, 2022 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gbParametric

Re: FreeCAD Orbit styles

Post by gbParametric »

There are some posts on this forum, that struggle with the same problem, that i'm trying to solve,
but none offers a real solution.
This one for example : https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=25039
I would love to make it a different orbit style.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

welcome to the community! Is great to see new people willing to code, if you think this would be a useful feature for others consider making it an option like the other 2 and make a PR. To be honest I don't understand the problem you have and what is your version doing different, could you perhaps make a video showcasing the difference?
gbParametric

Post by gbParametric »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:01 pm welcome to the community! Is great to see new people willing to code, if you think this would be a useful feature for others consider making it an option like the other 2 and make a PR. To be honest I don't understand the problem you have and what is your version doing different, could you perhaps make a video showcasing the difference?
It probably isn't a problem for people who uses FreeCAD or similar software daily.
I could get used to the way FreeCAD navigation works, the problem is that, I use different software at work,
and it helps a lot to have things consistent between software. It probably is more of a problem for people, that are
coming from architecture field.

I will definitely add some gifs, when I get home today(I had a feeling that this will be needed).
Thanks a lot for feedback :)