HUGE problem in Freecad is maneuvering

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
llll

HUGE problem in Freecad is maneuvering

Post by llll »

It's unusable imho.

Blenders navigation is perfectly calibrated. It's open source. Why can't we have their nice things?

Freecad navigation is horrendous coming from there. How easily adaptable are their settings? Probably quite attainable
Last edited by llll on Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
chennes
Veteran

Re: HUGE problem in Freecad is maneuvering

Post by chennes »

Blender-style navigation is available in FreeCAD. See https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Mouse_navigation
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
JoeKundlak

Post by JoeKundlak »

I have a feeling the OP does not mean the movement scheme per se, but rather the "feel" of the movement... though I cannot relate.

IIII what exactly does not suit you?
Joe
---------------------------------------------------
translating into SK: https://wiki.freecadweb.org
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If FreeCAD is in general so unusable, then I recommend not to use it at all and look for something else, which suits your expectations.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
llll

Post by llll »

"You don't like it, leave and fork out €5000 to use a mainstream CAE" - wrong attitude @chrisb

I'd rather bring the problem to someone attention, who can tune it.

Blender camera manoeuvring is very smooth and easy to navigate with.
A difficult UX/UI is undermining an entire powerful program.

It's hard to pin point into quantifiable differences from my intuition..

All I can do is point to the problem, not the cause:
Notice how its very easy to unintentionally move in the wrong axis on freecad and get off centre. Like very easily. And how difficult it is to re-correct without using preset views. These things are easily tuneable for people aware of inner workings. This is not a problem in Blender.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

It's perfectly fine to point out things that should be improved. However, the way you're trying to do it sounds "unfriendly" and nit very helpful. In fact, I still don't know what you're talking about. You might into looking of the structure behind Blender. Unfortunately being open source isn't enough to be overloaded with money or developers. Please tell us if you can provide any of that.

Even if you don't, you can help this project. If you'd like to know how, please have a look at Help_FreeCAD. If it's not clear already: This thread isn't helpful until now.
Forthman
Veteran

Post by Forthman »

llll wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:51 am I'd rather bring the problem to someone attention, who can tune it.
I don't think the problem comes from freecad :idea:
did you look at the documentation? https://wiki.freecad.org/Mouse_navigation
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

As usual, OP will have better put maybe a short video explaining the problem.

maneuvering is a term that could lead to many interpretations.

Usually moving in 3d space is natural, but if you observe a newborn you will simply see that is not a "natural behaviour" is an "learned behaviour", in fact usually humans, can't walk until some months after birth.

Same for a CAD program, "by definition" intuitive is not the first terms I have in mind when thinking of CAD.

Better to explain things, but many people came here and simply "criticize", this maybe not your case, but if someone answer to your question or "critics" in a rude manner, I could see having had around here from quite some time that he has some reason to react in this manner.

Taking simply another program behaviour as example, is not even a "constructive critics", as for some things, there is "different things behind the scenes" that affect the behaviour itself. (Blender is not a CAD, it is a graphics program not an engineering program).

I agree that rotating an object could be sometimes difficult and usually the result is not "what you want".

I could advance a proposal:

you select an object and "right click" in the 3D view.
you are presented with a menu on which you see "lock the center of rotation" and thick this option.
when you move the mouse around the drawing is rotate around the "center of rotation" of the selected object.

This is a more "gentle way" to propose something, as it give:

a point of view of what it will be an acceptable behaviour or maybe a different way to do thing, that could be even an advancement for all the users if the idea is good and developers could implement the idea.

You have many ways to use the mouse, so maybe there is already a way that will satisfy your liking or your need.

If not "be constructive", suggest a different way of doing thing, not simply say "do like XXX" or "it is wrong".

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Forthman
Veteran

Post by Forthman »

Hi,
in most mouse navigation modes, a click on the wheel places the center of the rotation
at the mouse location (you can also use the H key on the keyboard) :idea:
hmk

Post by hmk »

Forthman wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:15 am H key on the keyboard
Just learned something new! This is great!! (How could I live without this?) Is this documented (on the Wiki)?

I am not good at navigating. What works reasonably well for me is doing "0" and "V,F" quite often to "restart" my view.