[Merged] Surface Workbench icons improvement

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

[Merged] Surface Workbench icons improvement

Post by bitacovir »

This thread is to propose better colors for Surface Workbench icons https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Artwork_Surface
This is a request done in this post https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 88#p436293
I will come with some options in the next post.
Last edited by bitacovir on Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Surface Workbench icons improvement

Post by bitacovir »

Here a first approach with an orange color.
brave_HygSJ9qpcT.png
brave_HygSJ9qpcT.png (30.81 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
brave_bdNO98VaWi.png
brave_bdNO98VaWi.png (30.27 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

My 2 cents: Artwork are nice, but i think they should stay Blue. Cause Blue Is the Part color and so should be for all objects that produce an OCC Shape...
It's pointless ti distinguish them by workbench, since only one workbench Is activated at once...
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bitacovir wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 2:39 am Here a first approach with an orange color.
Wow! It looks nice, but being honest I also think it is a bit "loud" when you combine it with light greens and blues. Personally, I would prefer more sober tones, like blue or purple.

Like Carlo said, I also thought about using the Part-blue, however since the original XPM icon of the workbench had a light blue/rose tone, I decided to use violet as my main color.
Surface_two_colors.png
Surface_two_colors.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 4859 times
I'm not opposed to using the Part-blue in all icons, however I found it a bit boring and repetitive, so I wanted to try something new.

Essentially everything in FreeCAD generates OCCT shapes, however I don't think everything has to be the same color; in fact, each of our current workbenches have a dominant color already, Part and PartDesign are blue, Sketcher red, Draft yellow, Arch yellow-white, Path green-grey, etc. So, I thought that maybe Surfaces can have a purple tone, but orange (dark orange preferably) is still on the table.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

vocx wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:02 am
Like Carlo said, I also thought about using the Part-blue, however since the original XPM icon of the workbench had a light blue/rose tone, I decided to use violet as my main color.
But, we don't have violet in the FreeCAD Palette https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Artwork_Guidelines
So. Is Sky Blue ok?
inkscape_TtJqEA9RAo.png
inkscape_TtJqEA9RAo.png (30.3 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
inkscape_ei7kbQFixJ.png
inkscape_ei7kbQFixJ.png (30.72 KiB) Viewed 4796 times
Ok. Carlopav, but remember that Arch and BIM both integrate several WB tools.
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bitacovir wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:33 pm But, we don't have violet in the FreeCAD Palette https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Artwork_Guidelines
Indeed, we don't have violet in the FreeCAD palette, but frankly, we don't follow completely those guidelines. Who says we can't add a couple more colors to FreeCAD? There is nobody truly enforcing those rules but ourselves.

I like the blue color, but it's not very easy to distinguish which is the point on the curve and which is the handle. Maybe one (circle or square) should be orange, and the other should be a different color.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

vocx wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:22 pm
I like the blue color, but it's not very easy to distinguish which is the point on the curve and which is the handle. Maybe one (circle or square) should be orange, and the other should be a different color.
What about this?
inkscape_A7h15nr6q1.png
inkscape_A7h15nr6q1.png (33.59 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
inkscape_vDUsVPMBJ7.png
inkscape_vDUsVPMBJ7.png (32.89 KiB) Viewed 4644 times
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bitacovir wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:32 pm What about this?
Can the green be a bit darker, or the fill not white? As I said, I'm not super happy about the light colors. The design looks good, I think choosing the colors is a bit of fine tuning and personal preference.

If I design icons I also compile the software with them to see how they look in the real interface. This gives me a better feeling than just looking at the icons in isolation.
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

vocx wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:54 pm
bitacovir wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:32 pm What about this?
Can the green be a bit darker, or the fill not white? As I said, I'm not super happy about the light colors. The design looks good, I think choosing the colors is a bit of fine tuning and personal preference.

If I design icons I also compile the software with them to see how they look in the real interface. This gives me a better feeling than just looking at the icons in isolation.
Here with green in the fill. (I liked white more because gives a better defined point).
inkscape_RcZpXNlCd6.png
inkscape_RcZpXNlCd6.png (33.89 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
FreeCAD_ctgKBJkBCX.png
FreeCAD_ctgKBJkBCX.png (12.96 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
FreeCAD_4mfNbl8kcT.png
FreeCAD_4mfNbl8kcT.png (42.09 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
==================

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bitacovir wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 6:57 pm Here with green in the fill. (I liked white more because gives a better defined point).
Looks nice.