Modern UI

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
openBrain
Veteran

Re: Modern UI

Post by openBrain »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:58 am This was recently addressed by functionality coded by @chennes. Read more about it on Preferences_Editor#Workbenches
Are you sure of this ? :)
@chennes work only adresses loading preferences in preference editor. It has nothing to do with ModernUI and toolbars in general. ;)
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Good point. I haven't tested it but in my mind it made sense that the issue was this. Is it not? (I can't test atm because the appimages are giving me trouble and downstream Arch/AUR build is broken (and I've deleted older versions)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
ohmer

Post by ohmer »

openBrain wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:20 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:58 am This was recently addressed by functionality coded by @chennes. Read more about it on Preferences_Editor#Workbenches
Are you sure of this ? :)
@chennes work only adresses loading preferences in preference editor. It has nothing to do with ModernUI and toolbars in general. ;)
Yeah I'm not sure this is related. Once I click on any ribbon, all icons become available. Even the "Modern UI" ribbon is not working (all empty, no menus and no recents files displaying) until I select one of the others workbench icons.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

ohmer wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:12 pm First, when I start FreeCAD, the icons are not visibles. I need to click on a workbench ribbon to make the buttons visibles.
I tried to fix that before but I couldn't get it.
The second is a downgrade in usability compared to default UI. When I create a sketch with the default UI, the sketcher workbench is switched on and I gain access to the sketcher toolbar. With Modern UI, I have to select the Sketcher ribbon manually when I create a sketch in Part Design. It would be great if Modern UI could automatically switch on the right ribbon based on the current context.
ModernUI can't do this because it's just an add-on. So it's not fully integrated with interface. It's just hiding some elements and draw new ribbon UI on it. So I can't fix that too. Sorry
roipoussiere

Post by roipoussiere »

Hello, I really like this UI, thank you for the work on this!

1. A question:
How do I define the toolbars I want on each workbench?
For instance, I don't want the File toolbar in the Sketcher workbench, in order to free more space for Sketcher-related toolbars:

2. An other question / remark:
In ModernUI preferences, we check some workbenches to enable.
But that's also waht we do in Tools / Customize / Workbenches.
This is not a little bit redundant? It is not possible to enable ModernUI workbenches based on the global workbench configuration?

3. One more:
I don't understand the purpose of the ModerUI menu, which is globally the same as the FreeCAD menu.
Why 2 identical menus ? This is not also a little bit redundant?

4. An idea:
The modernUI preferences (buttons style, buttons size, number of rows) could be defined for each toolbars.
I don't know if it's difficult to do, but this will allow to heavily customize the UI.

5. An other idea:
Keyboard shortcuts to access activate ModernUI workbenches could be awesome!

Thank you again for providing this. In my opinion, after some fixes, this UI could be built-in as the default FreeCAD UI, it is more intuitive. :)

edit: I added issues about these suggestions.
Last edited by roipoussiere on Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

I decided to rewrite it in C++ and implement it directly to FreeCAD, if I reach 1000$ at Patreon. If you want to see this, you can support me.

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/HakanSeven12
roipoussiere

Post by roipoussiere »

So how this is going to happen, you will send a PR to FreeCAD master?

I created an account on Patreon to support you by the way. :)
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

I will create a fork of FreeCAD. When development is finished, I will send a PR. Thanks for your support ;)
hosscara

Post by hosscara »

Anyone seen this?
phpBB [video]
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sat Dec 18, 2021 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added video tag
zohozer

Post by zohozer »

hosscara wrote: Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:35 am Anyone seen this?
phpBB [video]
Would be great to have something similar in FreeCAD.