FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by chrisb »

At least for the small version I like the pure one without markers.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I see that annual FreeCAD 2018 logo design challenge has started. Nice proposals. From the past logo challenges perspective point of view. Geometry didn't really changed at all. But what did change was skeuomorph to flat color scheme design change did happen. Therefore @AR795 if i evaluate your proposals from this point of view. Gathering consensus around geometry changes would likely be hard to achieve. As for the colors. I guess you tried to bring a touch of skeuomorphism (and a touch of material design) back to make it more appealing. Realistically your proposals do have more visual appeal. Caliper and gear composition is something that is frequently suggested. But what would happen if you would apply the same color scheme on the existing logo geometry? How would that stand against your proposals? Would just changing the color scheme increase the visual appeal to be on pair? Or is it the geometry that makes all the difference? In addition i see you added more detail to your suggestions. Usually logos that work good have the least possible amount of details in them.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:45 pm At least for the small version I like the pure one without markers.
In that case, its safer to stick with the non-markers design.
triplus wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:24 am I see that annual FreeCAD 2018 logo design challenge has started. Nice proposals. From the past logo challenges perspective point of view. Geometry didn't really changed at all. But what did change was skeuomorph to flat color scheme design change did happen. Therefore @AR795 if i evaluate your proposals from this point of view. Gathering consensus around geometry changes would likely be hard to achieve. As for the colors. I guess you tried to bring a touch of skeuomorphism (and a touch of material design) back to make it more appealing. Realistically your proposals do have more visual appeal. Caliper and gear composition is something that is frequently suggested. But what would happen if you would apply the same color scheme on the existing logo geometry? How would that stand against your proposals? Would just changing the color scheme increase the visual appeal to be on pair? Or is it the geometry that makes all the difference? In addition i see you added more detail to your suggestions. Usually logos that work good have the least possible amount of details in them.
Yes it would be best to do a comparison with the current logo.

Here are some alternative versions of the design.
Attachments
freecad_logo_7.png
freecad_logo_7.png (173.59 KiB) Viewed 3772 times
Last edited by AR795 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

A comparison of the geometry and colors of the two logos.
Attachments
freecad_logo_comparision.png
freecad_logo_comparision.png (60.2 KiB) Viewed 3770 times
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Hello!

Just my to cents. Every year someone wants to make a new logo. I always thinked about that is not nessesary. But i really like the the bottom left logo from "freecad_logo_comparision.png". The only thing is, that the under jaw and the gear must set a little bit up, because the symbol side ratio is to high.

But my opinionis not very important (i am seldom here and only a user). I think the main developer should clearly say "yes" or "no" if a new logo is nessesary (or wanted).

Sorry for bad english
Greetings
user

Edit: added the word "say"
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

user1234 wrote:Just my to cents. Every year someone wants to make a new logo. I always thinked about that is not nessesary. But i really like the the bottom left logo from "freecad_logo_comparision.png". The only thing is, that the under jaw and the gear must set a little bit up, because the symbol side ratio is to high.
+1. It's a good idea to make the changes as small as possible (compared to the current logo). But the caliper is a good idea. I prefer the top left one.
AR795

Post by AR795 »

user1234 wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:13 pm Hello!

Just my to cents. Every year someone wants to make a new logo. I always thinked about that is not nessesary. But i really like the the bottom left logo from "freecad_logo_comparision.png". The only thing is, that the under jaw and the gear must set a little bit up, because the symbol side ratio is to high.

But my opinionis not very important (i am seldom here and only a user). I think the main developer should clearly say "yes" or "no" if a new logo is nessesary (or wanted).

Sorry for bad english
Greetings
user

Edit: added the word "say"
Thanks for the feedback. Something like this?
Attachments
freecad_logo_comparison_2.png
freecad_logo_comparison_2.png (57.53 KiB) Viewed 3753 times
freecad_logo_7_1.png
freecad_logo_7_1.png (165.5 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like the jaw-up logo. Proportions are better.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

I would point out that there is a bit of valuable symbolism added to the new logo over the old one with the open source symbolic reference in the open gear.

In terms of representing the value and purpose of the FreeCAD project, I'd say the new logo does a better job. I also think it looks better. :)

I still think the 0.18 release is a good time to change the logo (and the version number scheme).
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
AR795

Post by AR795 »

Few other color variations and different sizes.
Attachments
freecad_logo_7_2_512.png
freecad_logo_7_2_512.png (191.64 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
freecad_logo_7_2_256.png
freecad_logo_7_2_256.png (80.96 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
freecad_logo_7_2_128.png
freecad_logo_7_2_128.png (37.79 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
freecad_logo_7_2_64.png
freecad_logo_7_2_64.png (16.83 KiB) Viewed 3668 times
freecad_logo_7_2_32.png
freecad_logo_7_2_32.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 3668 times