FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
regis

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by regis »

bejant wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:14 am There's already something by the same name in the Ubuntu Software Center. Here is their website:
https://cadabra.science/
indeed you are right
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Hi all,

After getting some shame creating a new topic about FC logo (but WTF does a thread about logo stand in the "Development" subforum ? :lol: :lol: ), I still think that current logo didn't really reflects how qualitative FC has become. ;)
So below is my proposal of what I would see as an updated logo. As you can see, I'm definitely not an artwork guy, thus I can't pretend it to be perfectly polished. But efficient. :)
Here are concepts that I tried to keep :
  • Not too much colors, easy to downsize for icons
  • No brutal gap with the current logo so it can be recognized
  • Better express what FC is : 3D design mainly, some basic features inside (Pad, Pocket, Loft, Chamfer, Fillet)
  • Helical gear to add some modernity and power efficiency compared to straight gear (but ATM I doubt I twisted it enough)
logo_FC.png
logo_FC.png (158.46 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Thanks for feedback (all welcome, good and bad) ;)
regis

Post by regis »

not bad at all. what will it look like if you boolean the gear from the F, so that we can see the entire gear shape?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Actually a raw boolean cut won't change anything. ;) But I tried in that way by cutting in the 'F' an overscaled clone of the gear. Also rotated the gear so it better appears. Finally shortened a bit the gear length. Here it is :
logo_FCnew.png
logo_FCnew.png (46.12 KiB) Viewed 2291 times
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Hi @openBrain

I don't know, on how it will be managed in the future, but in the past few years FreeCAD Logo Design challenge was an annual challenge. Therefore best if you open a new thread named something like "FreeCAD Logo Design Challenge 2019" and officially open this years FreeCAD Logo Design challenge with your proposal. Eager designers and people interested in progressing FreeCAD design and artwork related areas further can participate.

Thanks.
regis

Post by regis »

openBrain wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:11 pm Actually a raw boolean cut won't change anything. But I tried in that way by cutting in the 'F' an overscaled clone of the gear. Also rotated the gear so it better appears. Finally shortened a bit the gear length. Here it is :
I like it, it looks much better. I'm trying to think a good place where this kind of logo will fit well. You know freecad has too many icons/logos etc etc. we can make good use of most of them if we identify to the best places where they will fit in fine.
Let me bug you again, what does the logo look like with this daily versions color theme aswell? I like to have both together when creating logos.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2019-03-02 16-08-49.png
Screenshot from 2019-03-02 16-08-49.png (7.54 KiB) Viewed 2237 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

regis wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:09 pm You know freecad has too many icons/logos etc etc
FreeCAD has only one logo. I have no clue what you are referring to...
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

triplus wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 6:51 pm Therefore best if you open a new thread named something like "FreeCAD Logo Design Challenge 2019"
Hi triplus. Actually I formerly created a new thread in "Open discussion" subforum, where I was pointed out that threads about logo topic already exist... Thus now I'm a little bit lost about what is the right way. :?
regis wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:09 pm Let me bug you again, what does the logo look like with this daily versions color theme aswell? I like to have both together when creating logos.
Below it is. :) Notice at now I use "approximative" colors. If I find official color values, I can apply them. But not cheating, pictures are stock coming from FC. ;)
logo_FC_wdaily.png
logo_FC_wdaily.png (104.99 KiB) Viewed 2179 times
Thanks for comments.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

openBrain wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:22 pm Hi triplus. Actually I formerly created a new thread in "Open discussion" subforum, where I was pointed out that threads about logo topic already exist... Thus now I'm a little bit lost about what is the right way. :?
From past experience point of view i would recommend creating an annual FreeCAD Logo Design challenge thread.
Last edited by triplus on Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Maybe it makes more sense waiting for 0.18 to be released to launch such a challenge... :?: