FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jolbas

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by Jolbas »

The gear profile is made with a python script that cuts a gear profile from a circle a lot of times while rotating the circle. And I attach the blender file containing the gear, a backdrop, one red light, one blue light and a camera
Attachments
FClogga.blend.zip
(297.84 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

Another iteration with some white light too
FC6_198.png
FC6_198.png (38.42 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
FC6_32.png
FC6_32.png (2.05 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

I found it interesting to work with so I keep posting variants :). Here I am back to a more flat and graphic look:
FC9_196.png
FC9_196.png (15.5 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
FC9_196_bw.png
FC9_196_bw.png (9.88 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
FC9_32.png
FC9_32.png (1.89 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
FC9_32_bw.png
FC9_32_bw.png (1.61 KiB) Viewed 2428 times
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

IMO that icon is too abstract, I have no clue what the colored faces are supposed to represent, an icon shouldn't be confusing IMO.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

adrianinsaval wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:50 pm IMO that icon is too abstract, I have no clue what the colored faces are supposed to represent, an icon shouldn't be confusing IMO.
Well, the colored fields represent the letters F and C. But you may be right that the gear isn't obvious. For me it's very realistic but that's probably because I know the background.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

Here's the svg file
FC9.svg
(33.46 KiB) Downloaded 71 times
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

I agree, I believe I understand the intent of your design, but it seems 'busy' with too many complex elements and the abstract composition isn't clearly identifiable. It could easily get lost overlayed on a busy wallpaper, or on in a desktop cluttered with icons.

I certainly appreciate how much effort you've put into this though.
bombillazo

Post by bombillazo »

TeslaCoil wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:14 pm
Zolko wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:21 am why-not, but at bare minimum re-use the current color scheme.
Here you go:

I really like this logo and the aesthetics, except the renaming to F-CAD. I would definitely keep FreeCAD. But I agree, FreeCAD's brand and image seems to have been stuck in the past and not reflecting all the advancements it has done in the past years,
michacassola

Post by michacassola »

Hi, I'm new here, and wanted to know about the FreeCAD logo.
I love the software and it's capabilities and I am replacing what I learned in Rhino bit by bit with FreeCAD.

However, I like the icons pinned to the task bar to be pretty and I would like FreeCAD's to be one of them (good looking I mean, its already on there).
Are there plans to implement a new logo or to form a working group to do one collaboratively, so nobody feels left out?

I also would like to suggest to have the core developers and a design team (whoever these groups might be) work out a guideline covering basic principles. For example: "The logo needs to be in parts 3D looking as FreeCAD is a 3D design program." ...

If this suggestion is deemed good I would like to be part of the design team.
I have done logo design work before for open source projects:
https://easyengine.io/blog/easyengine-new-logo/ (please scroll to the bottom for the animated version)
https://webinoly.com
https://github.com/HOSTYON/qycli

I would also suggest the design team to collaborate on icons and UI mockups as well.
Last edited by michacassola on Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

@michacassola
My opinion as I said before, you cannot just change the logo. There needs to be a complete new style with a logo.

But since my day job is claiming most of my time.
I kinda adjusted my opinion/ambitions too:
We need to grow into a more modern style, we can't just do an overhaul. It's too much work and takes too much time it will never get finished unless we get Bill Gates on board.

And we we get that design team your talking off!

So if you want too help, then feel free too try and fix stuff or do bug reports create icons make mockups of the ui. Especially ExtremePro themes :).
Every tiny bit of help is welcome.