LAWS OF UX

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bitacovir
Veteran

LAWS OF UX

Post by bitacovir »

Maybe this web is useful for this forum.
Laws of UX is a collection of the maxims and principles that designers can consider when building user interfaces.
It was created by Jon Yablonski, Design Lead at Vectorform, creator of the Web Field Manual, and contributor to Storytelling.design.
https://lawsofux.com/
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
Aleks

Re: LAWS OF UX

Post by Aleks »

The amount of responses to this topic sums up the state of freecad :D
I love freecad but it could be so much more.
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
carlopav
Veteran

Post by carlopav »

nice, thanks for posting and bumping.
follow my experiments on BIM modelling for architecture design
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

Thos link us really really intresting. I always tought thai FC doesnt have the resources of the big software houses but we can always steal their craft.
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

The problem with such thread is what exactly is the purpose of it? Is there something wrong with the FreeCAD UX? If yes, what exactly? And how would following "LAWS OF UX" improve the situation? Don't expect to drop a couple of links and not to be prepared, before doing that, to at least study them yourself, to draw some conclusions.

After all that is done, please share the conclusions with us, and we can start discussing about that.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

OficineRobotica wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 6:48 am but we can always steal their craft.
...uhmm... don't think this is appropriate to say or to do. There is no 'stealing' or the intention to steal going on here at all
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
OficineRobotica

Post by OficineRobotica »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 2:31 pm ...uhmm... don't think this is appropriate to say or to do. There is no 'stealing' or the intention to steal going on here at all
I still have to understand if your post is sarcastic or not , but "stealing they r craft" is just a way of saying in here. It means learning by watching someone with more experience or better at said craft. It doesn't mean literally stealing lol.

I think that we lost count of the threads talking about how FC ux/ui suks , how it could be better or how it can be changed but
-I personally think that FC is Ok, having on his side the power and flexibility of QT. These kind of links are useful for fine tuning qt inside FC so that it behaves in a aesthetically pleasing way.
-my problem with FC is it's lack of consistency between interaction paradigm of its various tools. As a known example the different way of selecting geometry and others. Given the immense code base with old and new code I already know that resolving this issue is a titanic endeavour but it should be looked into.
-taken from the links above....diferent studies have shown that an aestetichally pleasing interface will distract the user from usability issues . This is important. Looks can make a difference in perceived quality and FC should take advantage of this.
-taken from another ux/ui site that I don't remember atm. Method for choosing the color of the text and background for an application interface: go to your favourite graphics application>chose the background color and write some color text on top of it>desaturate the image. If the text disapears or blends with the background the 2 colors are not suited and will make the user strive for more contrast in the user interface.

Anyway I think these talks can be constructive and I like reading things about graphics design. I also know that people have different tastes and different workflows so there is no size fits all.

I should really start learning QT lol
Check out my Youtube channel at: https://www.youtube.com/@OficineRobotica
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

I am trying to teach FreeCAD to someone working for me at this moment but it is very frustrating.

Its not the visuals that are a problem in FreeCAD, its the workflow. I think so create a solution for this problem is to create a custom ditribution of FreeCAD focusing on mechanical engineering. I am getting to know the tools in FreeCAD and distilling a safe process out of it. Youtube videos are a great help for that.

That is why I also created a topic where I asked "How to create own GUI?"

P.S. I work on product configurators made in FreeCAD
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sat May 30, 2020 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added hyperlink
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

OficineRobotica wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:37 pm I still have to understand if your post is sarcastic or not , but "stealing they r craft" is just a way of saying in here. It means learning by watching someone with more experience or better at said craft. It doesn't mean literally stealing lol.
No I wasn't being sarcastic. I was concerned about IP (Intellectual Property) related discussion. But I have seemed to have misunderstood what you meant. Thank you for clarifying. :)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs