Merge RealThunder transparancy stuff?

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
obelisk79
Veteran

Re: Merge RealThunder transparancy stuff?

Post by obelisk79 »

sliptonic wrote: Thu Nov 10, 2022 3:30 pm Please take the technical discussion to the issue. Forked technical discussions are bad
Copy, I'll post the screenshot with the idea there. Shifting the mindset to the new(ish) process is an adjustment.
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

obelisk79 wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:00 pm I think his macros are interesting as well and while functional, they are rather inelegant in use. Better than nothing though and serves as a proof of concept.
They do work very well, the issue is that setting it up is annoying. I'm following @Zolko preference pack as far as I understand Zolko is changing the layout with his preference pack which could automate the macros setup. (sorry for going offtopic again ;) )
pathfinder

Post by pathfinder »

Small point of order, and maybe this should become a general thing for topics like this:

Since there is a Github issue associated with this discussion, the link to that issue should be in the first post.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

pathfinder wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:24 am Small point of order, and maybe this should become a general thing for topics like this:

Since there is a Github issue associated with this discussion, the link to that issue should be in the first post.
+1
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

+1 when there is associated PRs too.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

PR submitted https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/pull/7888

I've added the manual toggle function according to suggestion. There are commands for each side of the panel with user customizable keyboard shortcut, default to 'Shift + Left/Right/Top/Bottom'. Or, just click the hint edge to bring it back. User can now change hint size and position.
Peek 2022-11-28 07-02.gif
Peek 2022-11-28 07-02.gif (71.8 KiB) Viewed 4339 times

All related options are available in preference pages shown below,
Screenshot from 2022-11-28 07-02-53.png
Screenshot from 2022-11-28 07-02-53.png (115.41 KiB) Viewed 4339 times
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Fantastic!!!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Nice! No more searching for the hitzone!
tk1

Post by tk1 »

Not sure if I should put my "+1" here or in the other place mentioned, or if it's even relevant.

From this user's perspective, a BIG +1 for auto-hiding.

I know some have said after a while auto-hide gets annoying, and someone else said have both options (transparency and auto-hide). I would +1 on the having both. I've used programs w/ auto-hiding before, and personally, I never tired of it. I gain very valuable work space while being able to have those panels only when/while they are wanted or needed.

For auto-hiding, might be nice to have a pushpin/thumbtack (icon) so if you need it to stay open, click it and it will stay, then un-click when you want it to go away again.

Anyway, thank you all for the great work!

tk1
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I'd really appreciate if a few of you who are able to would compile and run PR 7888 and leave your feedback in the GitHub discussion. I myself don't really plan on using the feature so it's hard for me to evaluate whether it's working as people want it to, I can only evaluate the code technicalities.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com