LF: Designer able to convert from Solidworks/others

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tarek

LF: Designer able to convert from Solidworks/others

Post by tarek »

Hello friends!

I work with Glia, an organization dedicated to making Free and Open Access medical devices that are as good or better than currently existing gold standard devices. We have made several essential and successful devices including a stethoscope and PPE. We've also made a 3D printed tourniquet that we are working on making an injection molding version of. These tourniquets have been used in Gaza, Myanmar and most recently Ukraine.

In the course of working on injection molding, we have found no molding or mold design shops that use FreeCAD or any FOSS tools. As such, we're hiring a designer who is able to convert from Solidworks / similar into FreeCAD so that we can maintain our repository and keep all our devices Free and Open Access.

The current repository is here if you're interested in seeing what we've done so far.

Please reach out to me here or via email at tarek@tarek.org. We're open to negotiating hourly or project-based payment. All products of this relationship will be released as open source files and will be used to produce the molds we make tourniquets out of.

Thank you!

tarek : )
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: LF: Designer able to convert from Solidworks/others

Post by Shalmeneser »

:?:
Attachments
buckle_back_SHALM.FCStd
(75.88 KiB) Downloaded 69 times
Capture d’écran 2022-07-15 160835.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-07-15 160835.jpg (51.08 KiB) Viewed 4802 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:?:
Attachments
Windlass_SHALM.FCStd
(45.11 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Capture d’écran 2022-07-15 170657.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-07-15 170657.jpg (15.33 KiB) Viewed 4780 times
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

tarek wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:21 pm ...
it's probably easier than you think. the people who work with solidworks etc. only need to export it as stp or stl etc., freecad can import that and you can continue working with it in freecad
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
tarek

Post by tarek »

thomas-neemann wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:33 pm it's probably easier than you think. the people who work with solidworks etc. only need to export it as stp or stl etc., freecad can import that and you can continue working with it in freecad
Thank you for this. We want the files to be easy to modify in the future, which seems to exclude importing an STL. STP is one we've been playing with, but it hasn't been a great medium for communicating between us and shops that work on Solidworks. Do you have some examples I could show the designers by chance?

The problems we've had interfacing with molding design and production shops is why we're letting them go forward with solidworks then immediately porting and producing from the FreeCAD source.

M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Actually we have some "injection molding people" amount our users. Maybe you should talk to them. I think there is at least one who is actually building those tools himself. Unfortunately, I was only able to find one thread but that wasn't one of those I was looking for: 3D design of molds for thermoforming.

@chrisb Do you have one of those threads / users I'm thinking of "at hand / in your bookmarks"?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

M4x wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:50 pm @chrisb Do you have one of those threads / users I'm thinking of "at hand / in your bookmarks"?
I suggest @freecad-heini-1. I would rate him a modeling wizard.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Thank you!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

chrisb wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:54 pm
M4x wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:50 pm @chrisb Do you have one of those threads / users I'm thinking of "at hand / in your bookmarks"?
I suggest @freecad-heini-1. I would rate him a modeling wizard.
Thank you dear Chris. Unfortunately, I currently have no time for such projects, there are enough tasks to do in my family, office, house, yard and garden.
iwan

Post by iwan »

tarek wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 2:15 am
Thank you for this. We want the files to be easy to modify in the future, which seems to exclude importing an STL. STP is one we've been playing with, but it hasn't been a great medium for communicating between us and shops that work on Solidworks. Do you have some examples I could show the designers by chance?

The problems we've had interfacing with molding design and production shops is why we're letting them go forward with solidworks then immediately porting and producing from the FreeCAD source.

Hello Tarek. I am interested in the job offer and would like to know further.
Am I right that the remodeling is for the parts, not the mould?

I have cloned the repository and found that you have the source file of the parts in OpenSCAD format.
For starters, attached is the backing support part made in OpenSCAD WB.
I can also make it in sketch + feature approach if that is preferred.

Also, I do not know if the FreeCAD .amf format is compatible with OpenSCAD .3mf format.
It should be checked [at least later] if the development on FreeCAD source can still be used in 3D printer setting.

Lastly, I used this FreeCAD version below to generate the model. If you prefer other version, let me know.
You can reach me at iwanteknikmesin08@gmail.com.

Kind regards,
Iwan

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 2022.1021.26244 +5249 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: LinkDaily
Hash: d307b5c936403e8dca3f24b5c1e64bd16c88b28d
Python version: 3.9.10
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.6.0
Locale: C/Default (C)