Creation of STEP or IGES files from imported STL/SU files

Post here if you have a FreeCAD-related job to offer to the FreeCAD community. This can include programming or modeling.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Quadhurst

Creation of STEP or IGES files from imported STL/SU files

Post by Quadhurst »

Good morning.

I am looking for someone to create models in Freecad that can be exported as STEP or IGES files in order to get parts CNC-machined.

I have created a number of models in Sketchup but these cannot be converted to IGES or STEP files, I have been told, despite being able to import them into Freecad (which I have done easily). It has taken me a long time to get proficient in SU and I do not have the time to get sufficiently proficient in Freecad in order do all this again. I have approximately 30 models that I need re-creating and would be willing to pay someone to do this for me. I am not a commercial company, merely a hobbyist that's been given a private commission to produce something. I should be grateful for anyone to come forward to help me if they are willing to do so.

I am based in Lincolnshire, UK.

Regards.

Andrew
kisolre
Veteran

Re: Creation of STEP or IGES files from imported STL/SU files

Post by kisolre »

You could PM me some of them. How urgently do you need them?
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: Creation of STEP or IGES files from imported STL/SU files

Post by keithsloan52 »

Quadhurst wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:01 am Good morning.

I am looking for someone to create models in Freecad that can be exported as STEP or IGES files in order to get parts CNC-machined.

I have created a number of models in Sketchup but these cannot be converted to IGES or STEP files, I have been told, despite being able to import them into Freecad (which I have done easily). It has taken me a long time to get proficient in SU and I do not have the time to get sufficiently proficient in Freecad in order do all this again. I have approximately 30 models that I need re-creating and would be willing to pay someone to do this for me. I am not a commercial company, merely a hobbyist that's been given a private commission to produce something. I should be grateful for anyone to come forward to help me if they are willing to do so.

I am based in Lincolnshire, UK.

Regards.
Andrew
Should be easy enough for you to do without investing a lot of time in FreeCAD,

If you have easily imported your models to FreeCAD, then to export STEP or IGES, In the Tree View Window select the 'root' object i.e the first, then use File | export

This opens a window and you select destination and filetype i.e. in your case step or iges.

You will need a version of FreeCAD that does not have the STEP regression in OCC 7.4 -> 0.7.2 - 0.7.3 should be okay.
To check your version click on FreeCAD | about freecad | Copy to clipboard
Paste to a text editor or this forum etc