2D drafting

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Neil

2D drafting

Post by Neil »

I recently downloaded freecad from the website (sourceforge) but I can't get the 2D drafting to work. I don't even get the icons or menus. What have I done wrong. I am still a dummy with CAD
please help
Thanks
Neil
NormandC
Veteran

Re: 2D drafting

Post by NormandC »

Hi Neil,

For us to help you out, you need to tell a few things. First, what is your operating system? FreeCAD runs on Windows, MacOS and quite a few Linux distributions. And what version did you install? There are many currently in the download page.

My guess would be that you're on Ubuntu, am I right? Then you need the python-pivy package, but this was a problem with Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala which didn't have a python-pivy package in its official repositories (BTW Karmic is not maintained anymore).

Waiting for more info from you. :)

Post by Guest »

Hi Nomandc

I am running ubuntu 10.04 - i386.

The version of freecad is 0.11.3729-1lucid1_i386.deb. I just got it off the download tab. I did not see any other options.

Is this enough info?

Regards
Neil
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

On Launchpad we now offer up-to-date packages for Lucid and Natty at the moment. Just enter

Code: Select all

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:freecad-maintainers/freecad-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
into a terminal window. You should now get the more recent version from the LaunchPad PPA.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Guest wrote:I just got it off the download tab. I did not see any other options.

Is this enough info?

Regards
Neil
Hi Neil,

Yes that's what we needed. The download button gives you the FreeCAD version best suited for your system, but the "Browse all files" link just below it has many more options to choose from, which is why I asked you your version.

What Werner said will give you the latest FreeCAD version, but I'm not sure it will correct your 2D Drafting problem. This workbench requires the python-pivy package to run, and this package is considered a "recommend" instead of a dependency, so depending on your system settings, it may not get installed.

To make sure, just click the following link to install it: [url=apt://python-pivy]install python-pivy[/url]

This should make the 2d Drafting workbench active in FreeCAD.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

If you prefer the Gui way for adding a PPA (Personal Package Archive) to your system, there's a nice illustrated page on askubuntu.com:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/4983/wha ... 02#5102%29

Scroll down for Ubuntu 10.04.