Macro menu entry

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
salgerman

Macro menu entry

Post by salgerman »

Say, just downloaded FreeCAD for Windows and going through the help.

In the "Working with macros" section, they talk about the Macro menu....where is it? All I have along the top of my window is: File Edit View Tools Meshes Part Sketch Drawing Raytracing Drafting Windows Help.

I acutally went through the exercise of creating a macro and it shows up eligible for execution when I click on the macro editor icon.

I also went through the Tools -> Customize and associated my macro to some menu entry...but this is where my troubles start...where is such entry? I can't get to it.

Any tips?

Thanks.
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Macro menu entry

Post by NormandC »

Hi,

You're probably using the "complete" workbench, which doesn't include the Macro menu. If you change to another workbench (in the View > Workbench menu) you will have the Macro menu.

As for where is your menu entry, sorry I can't help. I tried it too, I'm wondering the same thing.
salgerman

Post by salgerman »

You are right...I had the "complete" workbench; switching to something else makes the Macro menu entry appear.

Still, my macro is not there...

I am not sure if this is related to it, but it feels like it should...but how is the Tools -> Customize feature supposed to work? Because that is where my own macro shows up within the Macro category, but it does not seem to have any effect on anything else in the GUI.
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

Hi,

here, in the first post is described how to add script to toolbar menu:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=869&p=6535&hilit=mr ... ated#p6535

Regards,
Petar Perisin
salgerman

Post by salgerman »

Got it.

Thank you very much.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

salgerman wrote:You are right...I had the "complete" workbench; switching to something else makes the Macro menu entry appear.

Still, my macro is not there...
You probably need to set your macros filepath. Go to the Edit > Preferences menu, and in the General category (top icon on left sidebar), click on the Macro tab. Set it to the folder you saved your macro in. Then, it should be listed in the Macro Editor.

I just noticed something odd about the Macro menu. When in 2d Drafting workbench, there's an "Installed macros" submenu listing all the macros in your set macros folder. This submenu does not appear in every other workbench.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

I think we could add the Macros menu to the complete workbench, no? What do you all think?

About the "Installed Macros" submenu in the Draft workbench, indeed it is an experiment I did some time ago... But it's more a hack than anything else, putting macros in menus should be handled 100% by the customize menu. I'll have a look at that too when I have a minute...
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

yorikvanhavre wrote:I think we could add the Macros menu to the complete workbench, no? What do you all think?
I agree. On the other hand Jürgens said that he's planning to remove the complete workbench since it's becoming huge, but in the meanwhile, if it's not to much work to add the Macro menu...
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

I agree too.

I will not remove the Complete, I would just dont like it as the default start workbench. Small difference ;)
Stop whining - start coding!
pperisin

Post by pperisin »

Hi,

I have mentioned this before, but can you also add workbench popup menu, pocket, sketcher objects and constraints to the complete?

Regards
Petar Perisin