New User - Step-by-Step introduction to make a part/project?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: New User - Step-by-Step introduction to make a part/project?

Post by NormandC »

Oops, forgot about that. If (when?) I include this step-by-step in the wiki, I'll add this info.

It's a pity you're having trouble compiling under Slackware, because v0.9 is way outdated IMHO. There's a LOT more stuff in v0.11. Personally I prefer the bleeding edge of trunk :P , but instead of compiling I make my own packages - it's very easy for Debian/Ubuntu as Werner has set it up.
mpyusko

Post by mpyusko »

I just sat down on my wife's i5 laptop and drew up a quick workbench in just a few minutes on 0.11. I was able to do everything I was doing on the 0.9/Linux plus copy and paste parts. I had a basic table with 4 angle legs and a flat/sheet top done in just a few minutes. Granted, I ultimately want to get more complex than this, but it was refreshing to be able to create something....anything..... at all.

I left to top recessed to show how the components fit together.
Attachments
A rough bench.
A rough bench.
Bench1.jpeg (250.03 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Great job! Nice to see you getting the hand on freecad so quickly
If you want to retry compiling on slackware some day, we can probably help you out with the compile errors you got... And it might be useful for other slack users as well
mpyusko

Post by mpyusko »

I just posted in the install/compile section.

Now the next part I don't get is importing files. Say I want to use a part from here http://www.3dcontentcentral.com/Search. ... ton%20Vise. What is the beast way to import it so I can manipulate it? I'm building a workbench solid and strong enough to support a vise. (the light blue one with the 1 gallon paint can in it's jaws) It's 70 lbs and was made in 1894. The green Wilton vise is about the closest thing to it. I guess I could draw it all out, but it would be nice to be able to import parts.
Attachments
Vise.jpeg
Vise.jpeg (157.85 KiB) Viewed 2154 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Hi,

The only file format on 3DContentCentral that is compatible with FreeCAD is STEP. Once you're registered you can choose this format to download, and it should import without trouble.

Edit: that would be STEP is the only compatible SOLID file format, and it is what you want. There are two other formats that FreeCAD can open, IGES and STL. IGES only contains surfaces, and STL is polygon mesh - good for rapid prototyping and presentation, but not much else.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Just downloaded and imported the first vise on your list (left the AP214 setting) and it imports fine... Apart from the model being sideways, but this is because it was modeled in SolidWorks. This is something I can't stand from this otherwise first-class mid-range CAD package: they have this stupid convention that top view is in the XZ plane instead of XY like everybody else on the planet! :roll:

BTW nice antique vise! :)
mpyusko

Post by mpyusko »

Thanks, I like it. Though it doesn't swivel. (shrug).

I can see how the Axis issue can be annoying on a regular basis. However, it is simple enough to correct. I highlighted all the parts and rotated them to the correct placement angle. then I was able to manipulate the entire part into the location I wanted. Still rather crude at this point but with the information I've gained this far, I should have enough to get me into trouble for now.

Thanks!
Attachments
Bench1.jpg
Bench1.jpg (179.2 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
mpyusko

Post by mpyusko »

This is what I came up with. (Notice my vise has 3 mounting holes, not 4 like the model) All the steel is to the correct dimensions. I added a mounting bracket under the vise. 2 bolts will actually mount to it.

Thanks again for the help. Now if I could just get it compiled and installed on my desktop, it'd be easier than using this tiny laptop screen.
Attachments
Bench2.jpg
Bench2.jpg (23.87 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
Bench.jpg
Bench.jpg (27.79 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

LOL :D

I'll try to format it to the wiki syntax. I've been thinking about expanding the Getting Started page, but I'm not sure how we should present the information. Or maybe doing a series of tutorials is the way to go? Or for each tool page, illustrate with an example (with pics).

One thing's sure, the wiki as it is right now assumes the user has a basic understanding of 2D drafting & 3D solid modeling.

What's ironic is that I haven't even modeled a real project in FreeCAD yet! :lol:

Edit: I hadn't realized you had already done some formatting, Yorik. I added some more, with internal links and icons of the tools used. It's not as good a job as your draft tutorial, but it's a start. :)

P.S. Man, when you're as used as me to the Dokuwiki syntax, it's confusing as hell to use Mediawiki's! :D