Issue with large IGES file

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: Issue with large IGES file

Post by yorik »

Thanks for the file, I tried here and it opens easily ( Very fast actually, about 7 seconds, well done guys, the optimization work is impressive already! ) :
pinion.jpg
pinion.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
I placed the file here if someone else wants to test: http://www.4shared.com/file/BH-wqXIl/Pi ... olid2.html

Maybe some issue with your specific system/OS/freecad version... What version are you running on?
hemuman

Post by hemuman »

Windows 7, FreeCAD 0.11
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

hemuman wrote:Windows 7, FreeCAD 0.11
You don't believe in giving as much information as possible, do you?

Have you seen how many v0.11 versions there are on the SourceForge download page? I counted 6 in the FreeCAD 0.11 unstable folder, plus the final one in FreeCAD 0.11 (dating 03/30).
yorikvanhavre wrote:Thanks for the file, I tried here and it opens easily ( Very fast actually, about 7 seconds, well done guys, the optimization work is impressive already! )
Naaah, that's unbearably slow. :P It took my PC 5 seconds, on a AMD Athlon64 x2 3GHz CPU running Ubuntu 10.04 64-bit. (I think I'm gonna give another try to that 85MB Biggs-Stratton engine STEP file just for the fun of it!)

Hey, maybe the OS is the problem. ;)

Seriously though, we are both on 0.12 unstable I believe, has the optimization been included in the official v0.11.4313 release, if that's the one hemuman's using?
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Those optimizations are not in 0.11, they are currently worked on in the trunk version.
But anyway, even without it, this shape is not so complex that it shouldn't load at all... The optimizations concern only the shape viewprovider, and in this case there is only one object, there shouldn't be any problem building the coin object, even if slower.
Would it be a windows-related problem? Next time I go to windows (very rarely nowadays ;) ) I'll have a look...
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

No, the problem is absolutely OS-independent. It's mainly the structure of the Inventor scenegraph of such an object. In version 0.11 we used an own lineset node for every single edge, an own faceset node for every face and a pointset node for each vertex. You can imagine that we easily reach several thousands of nodes for a middle-complex project like the gear example. With the new view provider we only have one lineset for all edges, one faceset for all faces and one pointset for all vertices. And of course there is a big difference in performance if we render many small objects (slow) or one big object (fast) in OpenInventor.

I have tested the gear with version 0.11 and it's absolutely unusable. If you go to the display mode Shaded it works OK. With 0.12 it's extremely fast now.

However, the downside of the currently optimized view provider is that selection doesn't work and with it all commands that are based on selection. And currently only display mode Shaded/Lines is implemented.
carlod

Post by carlod »

tested on my winXP machine:
FreeCAD_0.11.4313_x86 -> freeze
FreeCAD_0.12.4401_x86 -> ok (loaded in <10s)

carlo
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

hemuman Then I'm afraid we can do nothing about this now... But just wait a little bit and you'll be able to grab a 0.12 unstable version, Jürgen makes them regularly

Werner, selection works fine here (object selection as well as edge/face selection)... Maybe because of the 64bit workaround you did some time ago?
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Werner, selection works fine here (object selection as well as edge/face selection)... Maybe because of the 64bit workaround you did some time ago?
But not with the gear iges files. If you start the Scene inspector and look on the internal scenegraph you'll see that nowhere the SoFCSelection node is used.
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

Thats my fault, I accidental switch on the experimental view provider with a commit.
It should stay off until finished.....

I fixed this and commit with 4431
Stop whining - start coding!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

normandc wrote:I think I'm gonna give another try to that 85MB Biggs-Stratton engine STEP file
Wow... I would very much like to see that file too! Can you share?