Hollowing out "Boolean" cut multiple objects

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mammamici

Hollowing out "Boolean" cut multiple objects

Post by mammamici »

Hi there! New to Free CAD.
(using 0.20.2)

Doing ok, but ran into a snag.

When I have my cube ready with the dog heads placed just how I like them. I want to hollow them out to send to Fusion 360 so I can mill them. Sometimes Boolean cut works and sometimes it doesn't.

So I click on the cube first, then command (I have a Mac) and then the large dog head (or small one, I've tried both ways)

Then while in "PART" I go to Boolean and then cut and it hollows out the dog head I have selected. Then when I go to repeat, I no longer see "cube" I only see cut. If I drop down all that's under cut I can then see cube. So I try again two different ways. The fist selecting the cube under cut and then my other dog head. It thinks and then seems to do nothing (see photo). The second head still seems flat and not hollowed out.

If I choose cut and then the other dog head it does the same thing. Weird thing is, on a different head in another file, it worked. I'm following the same steps, so what's different?

So question is, how do I make this cube hollow out multiple heads? Some cubes need 3 or more!

Blessings,

Please know I'm a novice. Use simple language. Thanks so much for the help!

Mici
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 8.18.42 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 8.18.42 AM.png (131.35 KiB) Viewed 550 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Hollowing out "Boolean" cut multiple objects

Post by chrisb »

If booleans fail, use Part CheckGeometry on the components. Here most likely one of the imports is faulty. You can try to repair it in Mesh workbench.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mammamici

Post by mammamici »

Thanks for the support.

I did as you instructed and it found no errors on the small head. Like I said. It will do either head, just not both.

See attachment

Scratching head.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 8.44.02 AM.png
Screen Shot 2023-01-27 at 8.44.02 AM.png (37.04 KiB) Viewed 525 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I see now what you want. If they should be hollowed out from the same block, you have of course to cut the second head from the previous Cut object, not from the cube.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Would it be possible to make a Part Compound of the two heads, then use Cut between the Cube and the Compound?
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
mammamici

Post by mammamici »

To Chris:

I've tried both ways and neither work. That's the motivation for the post. Not sure what to do. It works on other files with other heads. Just not on this border collie one.

TO the other person who responded. Thank you for chiming in... this I didn't understand what you said. I guess I'll try screwing around and maybe I'll get lucky!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you provide the file? Put it somewhere on a publicly available file server if it is too big for the forum.