Draft/Arch: Coincide Points of Lines (Subelements)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wunschadresse

Draft/Arch: Coincide Points of Lines (Subelements)

Post by wunschadresse »

Hi, I could not find anything in the search, even though I doubt this has not been asked yet. :?

I would find it helpful if I could coincide the (end)points of two lines (selected via subelements) , which I drew via arch/draft into space (without sketcher), so that if I move one line, the other one follows (preferably only that subelement).

I do realize that I am pretty much asking for all the sketcher features but in 3D. :twisted:

This could e.g. be helpful when drawing walls in Arch, where I could move one wall (to resize a room) and the adjacent walls would just readjust in order to keep touching the moved wall. Or in my case a roof truss (using nodes and Arch structures), where I could dynamically set the rafter distance (on a roof with non-parallel walls, resulting in a change of angle for each rafter depending on where it is located in the roof).
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Draft/Arch: Coincide Points of Lines (Subelements)

Post by papyblaise »

it's so easy with sketching and construction lines using equalities
in my example you change the distribution from 450mm to what you want at once, or the total width and the division will be automatic
Attachments
charpente.JPG
charpente.JPG (22.8 KiB) Viewed 549 times
charpente.FCStd
(13.85 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

I don't know if it fits the bill but have you tried ArchSketch?

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=73018
wunschadresse

Post by wunschadresse »

@Bance wow, this looks very promising!
It would most likely solve the issue with walls and may be even roofs, but we will see.

@papyblaise thank you for showing this. Often when I am wishing for features there is usually a more simple solution to it.

I feel quite confident when it comes to constraining sketches. What I am less confident with is the positioning of these sketches in space and constraining them with external geometry. I will open a new topic for this, because the question of this topic has been answered.

Just for the record: My angles are somewhat different from what you have depicted. Luckily they are at least parallel, but unfortunately not parallel to the ground plot of the house, neither north nor south of the south (even though it looks like on the top view). @papyblaise what would be your approach of solving this, because I for sure am using to many sketches and draft lines which I have to rearrange manually once I change the slightest dimension (ground plot, height of the roof etc.).
Attachments
Dachgeschosswohnung_richtigerGrundriss.FCStd
(590.15 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Dachstuhl_Top_FCforum.jpg
Dachstuhl_Top_FCforum.jpg (82.63 KiB) Viewed 455 times
Dachstuhl_Front_FCforum.jpg
Dachstuhl_Front_FCforum.jpg (45.99 KiB) Viewed 455 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

you pose a riddle to me, my proposal is suitable for a "mansard" roof but yours is "left" more relevant to marine architecture or aircraft wing
I would do the west rafters first, then the east attic on each plan of each rafter a sketch with external references to draw the east rafter
would take longer than making a simple Array
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

You can use expressions to control the start and endpoints of Draft Lines. See the attached example.
Attachments
warped_roof_lines.FCStd
(8.04 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
wunschadresse

Post by wunschadresse »

Now that [[expression] is wicked! 8-)
Do I have to know the vertexes (points) by heart or is there any chance of selecting it from 3D or a list?
Probably I can find some help on expressions somewhere...
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Documentation: Expressions.
There is an autocomplete feature for names, labels, properties and spreadsheet aliases, but not for subelements of the Shape property.

In the example Draft Lines were subdivided, this will result in a logical sequence of vertices. After creating the first expression, you can just copy paste and raise the index for subsequent expressions.