[Solved] Break-out a hole to an edge

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Marfie

[Solved] Break-out a hole to an edge

Post by Marfie »

In Sketcher I have a rectangular "plate" with a hole near an edge. Constraints are good and everything pads ok. I then decided to break the hole out to the edge. In terms of geometry I can draw 2 horizontal lines that are tangential to the hole and constrain them to the edge. Is there then a way to tidy this up? What I did was redraw the edge (now 2 lines) to each of the break-out points and draw an arc to replace the circle; and then constrain again with dimensions. I have since tried to address this using the Split Edge option but seem to get coincident lines that I deleted and eventually managed to create more geometric (end-point and tangential) constraints that worked. The dimensional constraints survived. This suggests that if understood the Split Edge tool better it might be the best way to address this task. Is this covered somewhere?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.20.1)
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.10.5, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.2
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * Curves 0.5.10
  * Help 1.0.3
Last edited by Marfie on Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Break-out a hole to an edge

Post by GeneFC »

If I understand your description the easiest method is to use the Trim Tool to clean up the no-longer-needed edges.

Trim.JPG
Trim.JPG (12.7 KiB) Viewed 475 times

If this does not answer your question go back and follow more of the "Important" instructions at the top of the forum page, specifically the part about adding a file to your post..

Gene
Marfie

Post by Marfie »

Thanks @GeneFC . Following your suggestion I tried again and used a combination of "Trim Edge" and "Split Edge". After a couple of attempts and "undo" it worked reasonably well with only a small, and to be expected, amount of constraining. It got me from the situation of the hole on the left edge in the attached screenshot to the slot on the top edge. This time I have attached a relevant FreeCAD file - Test.FCStd.

Tools used:-
Trimming.png
Trimming.png (29.7 KiB) Viewed 421 times
FreeCAD screenshot of the task:-
FreeCADScreenShot.png
FreeCADScreenShot.png (28.38 KiB) Viewed 421 times
Attachments
Test.FCStd
(11.83 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm not sure if this is a question or a proof of your success?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Do not try to do everything in the same sketch : KISS

1) rectangular plate
2) slot holes
Attachments
Test_SHALM.FCStd
(18.01 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
Capture d’écran 2022-11-26 114515.jpg
Capture d’écran 2022-11-26 114515.jpg (30.97 KiB) Viewed 351 times
Marfie

Post by Marfie »

@chrisb It was intended to be proof, of sorts, of success. Is there a recognised way to flag questions as answered/resolved?

@Shalmeneser Yes, a good suggestion. It started off simple, a plate with some holes in it. Other bits were being done in other sketches. But then I decided to change the holes to slots. A relatively simple solution would have been to delete the holes and add a sketch with the slots. (And remember that that is a good way to work.) However the addition of a couple of lines and using the Split tools worked.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Marfie wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 3:59 pm @chrisb It was intended to be proof, of sorts, of success. Is there a recognised way to flag questions as answered/resolved?
Yes, you prepend "[solved]" to the subject of the first post of the topic. That is also the name of the topic itself.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.