HOWTO have 2 different Part Designs in seperate FCStd files depending on the same sketch ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Boo

HOWTO have 2 different Part Designs in seperate FCStd files depending on the same sketch ?

Post by Boo »

Hi,

Question as title : I have 2 Part Design parts that are designed to work together and would like to have them be in separate FCStd files but to depend upon the same sketch. Is there any way to maybe have a sketch in a 3rd file that can be "imported" in some way so as to have both parts derived from the same data ? Or if not (my supposition) what is the best way to go about this, ideally without duiplicating the sketch in both .FCStd files ?

Thanks,
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: HOWTO have 2 different Part Designs in seperate FCStd files depending on the same sketch ?

Post by papyblaise »

do you want 2 or 3 separate files or the three in the same file as a separate body, that you modify the 1st sketch, the 2 others follow?
you create a master sketch, then in a 1st body links in the form of external references, then a 2 sd and do the same
do you have an example to show?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: HOWTO have 2 different Part Designs in seperate FCStd files depending on the same sketch ?

Post by chrisb »

You can use cross document Expressions. I don't know if one of the assembly workbenches can import Sketches too.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Boo

Post by Boo »

papyblaise wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:04 pm do you want 2 or 3 separate files or the three in the same file as a separate body, that you modify the 1st sketch, the 2 others follow?
you create a master sketch, then in a 1st body links in the form of external references, then a 2 sd and do the same
do you have an example to show?
I have an example to show :

The attached files are part of an Isaenko circle tow hook for model gliders I am cadding up as an excercise. The lower_cover is attached to the sliding_plate and is restricted in height (y-axis dimension ion the model) but is otherwise the same as the lower section of the sliding plate. It acts as a doubler for that part of the hook and both parts have further features I have not included because it makes the files too big to attach.

Ideally, I would like the sketch from the pad in sliding_plate_002.FCStd to be "imported" in some way from a separate file "base_sketch.FCStd" so I can also "import" it in lower_cover_002.FCStd and use it as the basis for the geometry for that model. I have put "import" in quotes in case it has a existing technical meaning in FreeCAD which I do not intend.

Thanks,

Boo
Attachments
sliding_plate_002.FCStd
(19.64 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
lower_cover_002.FCStd
(14.47 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
Boo

Post by Boo »

chrisb wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:58 pm You can use cross document Expressions. I don't know if one of the assembly workbenches can import Sketches too.
I have used the FreeCAD spreadsheet functionality before in other models but it is not ideal for specifying positions and geometries. A sketch would be much more direct I feel ? But many thanks for the good answer,

Boo
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

as I understand you: I have never used a spreadsheet, and I still live at 76 years old :!: :lol:
I would have drawn the sliding plate in the place it should be in relation to the X axis (-4mm)
my best idea would have been to make a clone of the body of the hook, and to modify it in a way, if you modify the hook, the clone will follow (in flacshin green)
Attachments
slicing plate PPB.JPG
slicing plate PPB.JPG (14.52 KiB) Viewed 678 times
sliding_plate PPB.FCStd
(31.61 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Lonfor

Post by Lonfor »

Boo wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:41 pm I have 2 Part Design parts that are designed to work together and would like to have them be in separate FCStd files but to depend upon the same sketch. Is there any way to maybe have a sketch in a 3rd file that can be "imported" in some way so as to have both parts derived from the same data ?
I just did that last week. I used the "Link" command and so far so good.
Procedure:
1- In the tree select the target file
2- Press on the toolbar the Link icon
3- A Link feature will be created in the target file
4- Select the just created Link feature and press the 3 dots icon (...)
5- A dialog will open to select the desired features from the source file
6- Press OK.
Done.

Edit:
I forgot to mention it. If you are using the Part Design workbench, you will need an extra step to bring that linked feature into a Body by using a Sub-Shapebinder feature.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221128_075627.png
Screenshot_20221128_075627.png (189.47 KiB) Viewed 672 times
Boo

Post by Boo »

Lonfor wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:08 pm I just did that last week. I used the "Link" command and so far so good.
Procedure:
1- In the tree select the target file
2- Press on the toolbar the Link icon
3- A Link feature will be created in the target file
4- Select the just created Link feature and press the 3 dots icon (...)
5- A dialog will open to select the desired features from the source file
6- Press OK.
Done...
This makes one of the models dependant on another model instead of both being dependant on the same external sketch though ?

Also, when I tried this it didn't work anyway because when I tried to create a sketch in the dependant file it created it in the linked source file too and so when I applied a pocket to remove the stuff from the source that I don't need in the dependant file it pocketed the bodies in both files !

Thanks,

Boo
Lonfor

Post by Lonfor »

Boo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:40 pm when I tried to create a sketch in the dependant file it created it in the linked source file too and so when I applied a pocket to remove the stuff from the source that I don't need in the dependant file it pocketed the bodies in both files !
That is beyond the scope of the title of this thread. If you link only the sketch instead of a design body and use it in the target file just to apply a feature as for example Pad, Pocket or Revolution, those features won't be replicated in the source file.
So, the sketches in the source file will remain intact as templates.
Attachments
Screenshot_20221129_045818.png
Screenshot_20221129_045818.png (190.12 KiB) Viewed 526 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

my clone solution more answers the title question
the clone reproduces the original at time T (yesterday)
if you modify the first sketch of the first body, the second is also modified (provided that the modification concerns the retained area)
if you now add a hole in the beak, you won't have it in the sliding
but the 2 bodies are in the same file, not in separate files, which does not prevent them from being processed and printed or projected in Techdraw separately
Attachments
sliding_plate PPB2.FCStd
(37.37 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
slicing plate PPB2.JPG
slicing plate PPB2.JPG (15.77 KiB) Viewed 508 times