Assemby 4 - How do I check if a part fits well?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GAZ082

Assemby 4 - How do I check if a part fits well?

Post by GAZ082 »

Hi! Lets say I have this:

The shaft's diameter is larger than the hole. Is there a way A4 can tell me the shaft is oversized or the hole is undersized?
Zolko
Veteran

Re: Assemby 4 - How do I check if a part fits well?

Post by Zolko »

GAZ082 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:49 pm The shaft's diameter is larger than the hole. Is there a way A4 can tell me the shaft is oversized or the hole is undersized?
waitanminute ... do you mean that you know that there is a problem, and you want Asm4 to confirm it for you ?
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

He's not sure which one is correct :lol: :lol: :lol:
rmn_hr

Post by rmn_hr »

GAZ082 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:49 pm Hi! Lets say I have this:

The shaft's diameter is larger than the hole. Is there a way A4 can tell me the shaft is oversized or the hole is undersized?
There is no collision detection in ASM4 (to my knowledge) - in your example it depends on the functionality of this shaft-hole-pairing, if it will be seen as correct or as a mistake in design.

In case this should be an early indication of a screw fitting - no thread drafted (maybe it never will) only bolt and core hole indicated, everything is ok (assuming diameters are correct).

If bolt shall fit the bore exactly - there is a mistake in dimensioning in one of the two.
If bolt shall not touch the bore (in which situation ever), you have to change a dimension either

The only way to find out, if axes are assigned correct and dimension are as they should: you must have a look on your construction - you can zoom in, zoom out, rotate, change transparency and at least use the measurement tool of Asm4.

From my point of view Asm4 is a very strong tool - and doesn't complain on assembly-situations like your example.
Sometimes in an early stage components doesn't fit exactly, sometimes the are not designed so far (top-down-design) - Asm4 holds it together anyway.

It is always designer's responsibility, what she/he wants FreeCAD/Asm4 to show on the screen
My workflow: create single components in PartDesign and arrange them with Zolko's Assembly4
(https://github.com/Zolko-123/FreeCAD_Assembly4 )

FreeCAD works pretty well and stable for me !! :)
Hymn of Praise valid again since FreeCAD 0.22.35449
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

if you are looking for a collision detection, Asm4 ATM doesn't have it.
I have a collision tool in kicadStepUp wb, but it doesn't work unfortunately with Asm4.
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

GAZ082 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:49 pm Is there a way A4 can tell me the shaft is oversized or the hole is undersized?
I'm sorry, I was drunk and frustrated. You're right, we need a tool for such functionality. Unfortunately, there are not many people to volunteer for the "we" part. Which could be seen as an excuse for the "frustrated" part.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here