Issue - Pad error (Bug?)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
lordsansui

Issue - Pad error (Bug?)

Post by lordsansui »

Hello,

I'm modeling Loundspeakers enclosures and the first model finished very smooth and was complete successfully and as you can see in the picture "working as intended.png" or directly yo the file Paraflex-Type-C.FCStd, I made a master skecth fully constrained and without error, so I made other sketches (children) with external geometry linked in order to create simple sections to PAD them in order to create each panel. Easy and straight forward.

The issue happen in the second model, which is more complex in terms of the master sketch but it's fully constrained and without error too, just two children sketches were created as you can see in the attached file TapedHorn-Type-SS.FCStd, if I PAD only the sketch001 it works, if I PAD only the sketch002 it works, I mean, in this file I can PAD only one Sketch, if I try to PAD a second one I got two errors as indicated below:

Recopute Failed! Please check report View
Pad: Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time.

Both files has the same structure, for one it works fine for the other don't, is this a bug?

Running Manjaro Linux with FreeCAD 0.20.1 installed from Flatpack
Attachments
working as intended.png
working as intended.png (160.6 KiB) Viewed 850 times
Screenshot_20221001_102655.png
Screenshot_20221001_102655.png (177.02 KiB) Viewed 850 times
TapedHorn-Type-SS.FCStd
(31.85 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Paraflex-Type-C.FCStd
(159.1 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
Bance
Veteran

Re: Issue - Pad error (Bug?)

Post by Bance »

There is a single solid rule in PD WB.

This means that only ONE solid can exist at any one time.

In the first model (paraflex) the FrontUpperSide was modeled first, following pads are then all in contact forming at ALL times a single solid.

That is not the case in the second model, the order is important.
lordsansui

Post by lordsansui »

Both models was draw in the same order.

I let in the way to make it easy to understand, if you deleted the sketch002, and create the solid first with sketch001, and create the sketch002 again the issue will remain.

Are you able to fix it?
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

It doesn't matter what order you draw them in, it matters what order you pad them in....
PF.png
PF.png (17.48 KiB) Viewed 801 times
Probably the worst sketches I've ever seen by the way.
lordsansui

Post by lordsansui »

Could be more precise indicate what is the right PAD order?

If only the master sketch is available, how should I proceed in order to create children sketch and PAD them?
Bance wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm Probably the worst sketches I've ever seen by the way.
Thank you for the help, but don''t know if criticizing my sketch will help anything, Looks like you don't know the requirements needed for a loundspeaker.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

lordsansui wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:50 pm Could be more precise indicate what is the right PAD order?

If only the master sketch is available, how should I proceed in order to create children sketch and PAD them?
Bance wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm Probably the worst sketches I've ever seen by the way.
Thank you for the help, but don''t know if criticizing my sketch will help anything, Looks like you don't know the requirements needed for a loundspeaker.
Has nothing to do with loudspeakers.

You need to pad in such an order that the result after each Pad operation is a single solitary solid.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
lordsansui

Post by lordsansui »

No, the Main sketch has everything to do with loudspeakers. I'm not using it to PAD, it's just need to define the panel placements and size.

Once I get the master sketch ready, i'm using children sketches witch uses external geometry, just 4 point (edges) to draw a simple geometry to pad each panel.

We may are running in circles, for any reason still unknown from my side, what i did in the first file worked well, and what I'm doing in the second one don't.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

If you pad Sketch001 and then Sketch002 the result would be a Body containing two separate solids, this is not allowed. So padding has to occur in such an order that the single solid rule is obeyed.
Last edited by Roy_043 on Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

You seem to have a comprehension problem, SINGLE, ONLY ONE, NOT TWO, SOLIDS IN A BODY AT ONE TIME.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

lordsansui wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:50 pm Looks like you don't know the requirements needed for a loundspeaker.
I agree I don't have a clue about loudspeakers, I do however know a bit about sketches.