[SOLVED] Angular measurements seem near impossible for me...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Angular measurements & rotation seems near impossible for me...

Post by GeneFC »

Bance wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:14 pm Parallel lines different planes......
OK, I'll bite.

How do you define "different planes" for two parallel lines? :mrgreen:

Gene
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

That's exactly my point :lol: :lol:

Read the other posts......
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Yes, just to briefly confirm:
Being still blind for probably 99,9% of all the details involved, I was much too certain to have created a 2D drawing in the intended x-y plane. So much, that it didn't occur to me to check very closely...

You helped so much - want to be back for some concluding lines.
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

This is open source software, we rely on people to tell the truth, so that we can improve for everyone else...
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Hi everybody,
back to resume and close this thread from my side:

@Bance
- the main reason was: not to supply much more than what was expected to help solving the problem - and this case seemed basic enough IMHO to additionally supply version 0.20.1 on Win10 only
- in case of parallel lines, located in different CAD planes, an angle of 0° is "measured" without an existing intersection (in our "real world").
to me, this "measurement" is misleading, if not false. Ok, understand, Freecad is in an early stage and this is only #2,567 of even more priorities on the to do list...

@wandererfan
thanks again - I was not aware enough of this fact yet

Regarding other features of Freecad related to this topic:
As a starting user of FC I still would not know exactly where and how those values on the z-axis, different from 0, could creep into the model. Always TOP view and x-y plane was selected if applicable - at least this is felt so.

Thanks again, Roy, for your hint.

Hope to be able for more clarity, have a nice weekend!
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---
en: New FC-user, virgin to previous CAD-work, labouring on his new hobby Ulis Blog
de: Neuer FC-Nutzer, ohne vorhergehende CAD-Erfahrung, beschäftigt mit seinem neuen Hobby Ulis Blog
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

So for the benefit of everybody else, can you please explain what the problem is/was?
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Ulicad wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:22 am - the main reason was: not to supply much more than what was expected to help solving the problem - and this case seemed basic enough IMHO to additionally supply version 0.20.1 on Win10 only
it is not basic to assume that you are using FC on a win10 machine with a 0.20.1 version, nor it is the more used version of FC as there are no proper statistic about "what is the most used version of FC".

It is a fairly used "wrong assumptions" that MS OS are the "only existent OS" and win10 is the "normality" and you have to sue the "last stable version" of a program.

You coudl easily see that your basics are mere assumptions, and a little "wrong" as the main used OS is Linux as the major part of internet is based on Linux and even MS will supply his Azure containers using Linux (and not some Windows Server XXXX OS).

Your first post is missing some "required" informations, as stated in:

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

You are assuming that the word IMPORTANT seems to be a "mere detail".

Sometimes I think that more rudeness would be helpful, as used in other forums, were an incomplete question is left unaswered beyond a
"Please supply required information" first answer.

Ulicad wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:22 am if not false. Ok, understand, Freecad is in an early stage and this is only #2,567 of even more priorities on the to do list...
Defining a more than 20 years old software in "early stage" is another "wrong assumption", the fact that FC has not reached 1.0 version and that is considered "not finished yet" is a very different thing.

Best Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Ulicad wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:22 am - in case of parallel lines, located in different CAD planes, an angle of 0° is "measured" without an existing intersection (in our "real world").
to me, this "measurement" is misleading, if not false. Ok, understand, Freecad is in an early stage and this is only #2,567 of even more priorities on the to do list...
Nonsense!

The model is 3D and you are (presumably) using a 2D screen to view it. The measurement does not know or care how you have arranged your 2D view. The measurement was correct. No repair needed in FreeCAD.

Come down from your ego-trip and admit you need to spend some time learning FreeCAD instead of blaming FreeCAD.

There are plenty of unresolved issues in FreeCAD. This is not one of them.

Gene
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

The file would have been the solution but ... no file.
Ulicad

Post by Ulicad »

Most of the recent contributions are understood in what they are saying and what is meant. And it is understood in a very positive sense, that all contributors have a well meaning relation to Freecad, which for me is very much alright. And yes, I appreciate the gentle and patient way, a question or a problem here is treated. Hopefully this attitude is not changed - it is making a, if not the, difference.

Anyway, in our limited context here, it seems not feasible to respond or clarify all details touched - most is understood and shared.

If, however, someone is of the opinion, that the UI and the documentation of FC could receive the same effort and thoroughness as the core & computations have (within the many years of development, understood), then, I can not share such an opinion. And, it does not help FC. This as an "educated" opinion only.

I was thinking along these lines this morning before logging in here and found your posts... (BTW: personally, I was using Linux for quite some years and there is NO assumption, that some OS like the one from a very big company is the only one...)

The outcome for me personally is (pProvided I find the entry and the energy):
To get into contact with the people caring for the documentation - and of couse, a great idea behind this is: if only 100,000 people could contribute one single "atom" to the documentation..

Please forgive for the rather untrained wording.

Regards
Regards, Ulicad / Uli
---