Workflow for Arch / BIM bathroom with fixtures

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shadow

Workflow for Arch / BIM bathroom with fixtures

Post by Shadow »

How do I create fixtures ( toilet bathtub vanity shower ) for the Arch / BIM workflow into SectionPlane and show on TechDraw page with clearances required by building code?

Should the clearances be baked into each fixture?

I thought it might be some kind of macro to create a toilet and select clearances, so that it would show up on a TechDraw view. No such luck (yet!)

Cutting a 3D model of some fixtures such as a toilet or vanity by Arch SectionPlane doesn't produce any useful symbol for the floor plan, it doesn't make sense what it is on the technical drawing.

I've been making models of fixtures with a pad below in the size of the local building code required clearances, this is not optimal though and doesn't show up in the technical drawing either.

I'm not any professional architect but I am working with an engineer who will draw everything up for submittal to the local government. However, FreeCAD has been useful to sketch my ideas and design the house, but common things required by building codes are distances to toilets and sinks and I'm not sure what the workflow is supposed to be for FreeCAD to create these objects (or find any parts library) and speicfy clearances that can appear on the technical drawing.

For something that is specified by International Building Code, I had thought this would be baked into the Arch and BIM workbench. What am I missing?
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Workflow for Arch / BIM bathroom with fixtures

Post by Roy_043 »

Where do you get the idea that an 'International Building Code' exists?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Shadow wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:51 am I thought it might be some kind of macro to create a toilet and select clearances, so that it would show up on a TechDraw view. No such luck (yet!)

Cutting a 3D model of some fixtures such as a toilet or vanity by Arch SectionPlane doesn't produce any useful symbol for the floor plan, it doesn't make sense what it is on the technical drawing.
Please elaborate what you mean here ?

Abeton had done some model with 2d plan view of furniture discussed in this thread, the workflow is somehow not very simple thought, maybe it could be adopted for side elevation / sections :D
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:30 am Where do you get the idea that an 'International Building Code' exists?
It's referenced a lot by things in United States? Also the Uniform Building Code. Actually I don't know what that has to do with toilets from what I can tell it's more to do with construction methods. Amateur here obviously.
paullee wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:51 pm Please elaborate what you mean here ?

Abeton had done some model with 2d plan view of furniture discussed in this thread, the workflow is somehow not very simple thought, maybe it could be adopted for side elevation / sections :D
Looks like they hide visibility of certain vertice lines from the 3d model in a 2d flattened view of the vertices to make it look less cluttered. What I'm talking about is for example there's a local government code about clearance distance minimums in front of a toilet, and these are smaller than what is regarded to be "comfortable" clearances, and further there's an ADA (wheelchair typical) clearance that is usually larger if you are designing for compliance to that. I would like to drop in a toilet model and on the tech drawing have it just show clearance measurements with rectangles around that object showing these clearance distances so while I'm placing the model I can make sure it is compliant, but also on the drawing show the standard symbol for the fixture along with the clearances. The standard symbol is possible to not look at all like the 3d model, it is just for readability on the drawing where you only care about clearances and generally what and how big it is not what it looks like.

Said again a different way I suppose what I'm looking for is a way to have a parametric 3d model of a toilet, and when cut by a section plane and added to a tech drawing the 3d model is not visible instead it substitutes a 2d drawing for the customary symbol and associated dimension lines that indicate clearances; optionally the clearances should be bounding boxes with dotted lines or something of that and a text description "minimum" "comfort" "accessible".

e.g. Building Construction Illustrated 5th edition has references I would like to bring into FreeCAD for the design process, but struggling just getting these things modeled in a 3d space so that the tech drawing makes any kind of sense.