Drink Can Lid with Text on inside surface - how?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rcbuck75

Drink Can Lid with Text on inside surface - how?

Post by rcbuck75 »

I installed FreeCAD 0.19 and have watched about 20 videos online. I have been successful when following along and creating the objects that the videos described. I am getting a feel for how things work but I have a long learning curve ahead of me.

I have a quick question. I am trying to create a lid for a beverage can. The quirk is I want to put text on the inside surface of the lid. How would I approach that?

I tried creating a cylinder and then a pocket inside of the cylinder the same size as the can. That gives me 1.5 mm thick lid walls. The bottom of the pocket is 1.5 mm above the cylinder inside surface. This created a "lid" or what looks like a lid. Total height of lid is 7.0 mm.

I then placed text on the inside of the lid and tried to extrude it. This gives me an error message:
Cannot use selected object. Selected object must belong to the active body.
Consider using a ShapeBinder or a BaseFeature to reference external geometry in a body.

Apparently this is not the way to accomplish my task. I don't think using a hole in the cylinder the size of the can would work as the hole would go all the way through the cylinder.

Photo attached of what I am seeing in FreeCAD.

Pointers on how to do this?
Attachments
Lid.png
Lid.png (36.65 KiB) Viewed 785 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Drink Can Lid with Text on inside surface - how?

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I have written a tutorial on using ShapeStrings in PartDesign: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=36623.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rcbuck75

Post by rcbuck75 »

Chris,

Thanks for the answer but that explanation doesn't help me. I see no way to attach the ShapeString to a surface. I think I have created the entire part incorrectly. For some reason FreeCAD apparently doesn't think the inside of the lid is a surface.

I need someone to give me an idea of how to actually create a lid. Cylinder with hole? Cylinder with pocket?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

rcbuck75 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:21 amI think I have created the entire part incorrectly. For some reason FreeCAD apparently doesn't think the inside of the lid is a surface.
Upload the file so the helpers can have a look.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I can fuse the text with the cover, but I can't stamp the text on the metal sheet
Attachments
gabby.JPG
gabby.JPG (22.25 KiB) Viewed 695 times
gabby.FCStd
(217.28 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
mfro

Post by mfro »

rcbuck75 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:59 am Pointers on how to do this?
gabby.png
gabby.png (68.5 KiB) Viewed 678 times
  • Create the Shape String
  • convert it into a Sketch (Draft_Draft2Sketch)
  • create a ShapeBinder from it into your Body
  • position as needed (using Edit->Placement)
  • pad
Attachments
gabby.FCStd
(188 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Cheers,
Markus
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

mfro wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:38 am [*]convert it into a Sketch (Draft_Draft2Sketch)
This step breaks the parametricity (e.g. no later change of text possible), but luckily it is not needed. You can use the ShapeBinder directly with the ShapeString.
Attachments
gabby_cb.FCStd
(102.08 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mfro

Post by mfro »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:48 pm You can use the ShapeBinder directly with the ShapeString.
That didn't work for me when I tried it previously. FreeCAD hung with a spinning cursor when attempting the pad.
Cheers,
Markus
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Can you recompute my file? Can you recreate the pad?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."