Where I should look?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Batucada

Where I should look?

Post by Batucada »

The message in the "Report View" window is
Recalculation failed! Please check the report view.
annoys me immensely. It is not the message itself that causes me confusion, but the fact that this message is in the output window, which I am supposed to check. But where is the other information I am supposed to check?
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-13 um 23.25.02.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-08-13 um 23.25.02.png (28.84 KiB) Viewed 656 times
After this output window has been annoying me for a while by popping up and making the editor area smaller, I am very annoyed. There may have been operating errors in what I have done so far, but in the end I have come to an error-free result.

All right, I saved everything, closed FreeCAD, restarted it, loaded the file and now I see the following entry again three times
Recalculation failed! Please check the report view
although I haven't done anything yet. Is there an explanation for this?
And where is this report view, of which I have only seen this great message so far?
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Where I should look?

Post by GeneFC »

I agree the second part of the message is pretty useless and annoying.

The identification of the cause of the recompute problem is difficult or impossible. However, in most cases this is due to a significant problem in the model, not a FreeCAD code failure.

Gene
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Probably you will find some other evidence, like some "red marks" over some icons or maybe solids that are in the treeview but don't appear on "3d view".

As @GeneFC has told you sometimes is difficult to find the culprit, and without a file and probably an idea of what FC version you are using:

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

It will be difficult to help you.

Regards

Carlo D.
Last edited by onekk on Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

onekk wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:26 pm It will be difficult to help you.
Difficult? Not at the moment. First of all, I thought I was a somewhat stupid not being able to find a log file. All right, if there's no log file, with that there's nothing to look for and finally nothing to find. But something like that. This reminds me of the C compilers in the 80s, they also reported errors, and then it is up to you to search ...

It's late today, because I have another problem that I can't quite grasp yet.

Thank you very much for your kind support.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Batucada wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 10:47 pm Difficult? Not at the moment. First of all, I thought I was a somewhat stupid not being able to find a log file.
Probably the point is that there is no a log file, usually log is output in the report view, or in the terminal, if you launch FC from a terminal. (I'm using Linux and it is not so difficult to do so.)

Edit:

At least on Mac OSX you could produce a log file see:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 19#p616819

For other OS I don't know,

Alternatively there is a preference under:

General >> Output Window >> Output >> "Record log messages"

That maybe should output some more infos

End Edit

@GeneFC has told you that the second part of the message:
Please Check Report View
is annoying as usually it is printed already in the "Report View".

IMHO without a proper file and a proper FC version a question must remain unanswered, especially as the forum is explicitly asking for these thing in:
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help
http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Batucada wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:52 pm The message in the "Report View" window is
annoys me immensely. It is not the message itself that causes me confusion, but the fact that this message is in the output window, which
Calm down is the advice! Being annoyed is ok, or even good, because it motivates to improve things. Being immensly annoyed over a simple message from a program you got for free is far too much. Switch it off.
This generic message is shown in the hope that some other part of the program has written something useful into report view. And in your case it doesn't.

And where is this report view, of which I have only seen this great message so far?
The report view is the output window. Which makes this message even more, well, annoying.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

chrisb wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:07 pm Calm down is the advice!
I'm already calm.

I have also managed to create a complicated model of a pleated filter cartridge so far, it looks quite respectable. In the same project, I was supposed to create a model of a hoover turbine, which worked well until the repeated annoying occurrence of the stupid message. My problem, however, is that although I can see the structural possibilities of FreeCAD, they are obviously a bit cumbersome, if I may put it soflappy. So I created a hierarchical project, a part container in it, 11 bodies in it and within the boddies the usual sketches and other odds and ends. As I said, all this worked great, except for the point that in one sketch the solver still nags 4 DOFs for no apparent reason, despite my many kind words. I assume that the reason for the prompt is to look in the Report View.

Now I'm stumbling over picking apart my hierachical project and running the organisation of the project externally. Let's see how it goes from here.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Batucada wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:00 am As I said, all this worked great, except for the point that in one sketch the solver still nags 4 DOFs for no apparent reason, despite my many kind words. I assume that the reason for the prompt is to look in the Report View.
To say it more drastically than Carlo: no file - no help.

Missing DOFs are usually found extremely fast. I dare to say, not much more time than writing this post. If you want to find it yourself, one of the documents in my footer may be of help. Don't use the German, it is a bit outdated.
If you want help from the forum, others may jump in, I'm offline now.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mfro

Post by mfro »

Batucada wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 9:52 pm The message in the "Report View" window is
That is - admittedly - an annoying and utterly misleading message that should be removed or at least rephrased.

FreeCAD usually spits it out when some code generated an (otherwise unspecified) C++ exception. Most of the time the real culprit is that an OCC modelling call failed. The corresponding failed feature is then marked with a red dot in the tree view and you might find more information about the problem with hovering over the respective tree view item.
Cheers,
Markus
Batucada

Post by Batucada »

chrisb wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:25 am To say it more drastically than Carlo: no file - no help.
Thank you for the offer, which I will certainly not refuse if I really need it.

At the moment, there are two reasons for me why I have not yet presented any files. First, it's to turn failure into success, which is another small milestone in my learning process. And secondly, it also lifts my own ego a little 8-) First I want to implement my latest FreeCAD experience and reorganise my project.