Split a mold object

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Giterdun

Re: Split a mold object

Post by Giterdun »

domad wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:57 am
Giterdun wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:00 pm .....
Hi Giterdun, greetings to the Community!
If in injection thermoplastic, here is an example from which to draw inspiration for making the holes, the movement for drilling can be automated (not manual) https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php ... 5d0e498bbe
Wow!!! I had a look at your link.. That looks awesome, but severely complicated for someone with my limited FreeCad experience.. lol.. You mention in comments that you used to work in that field.. It must have been really interesting work.. The molds I'm trying to make are very simple in comparison. ;) I'm only just in the learning stage of using various resins to create objects and/or molds... ie.. I will just print the mold from this post and use it to create a hard resin object.. I have another object I want to replicate that will need a soft rubber type mold.. etc.. I downloaded your files, and will definitely be looking at and learning from them.. Thank you.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

something tickles me: why print a mold, and not the part itself
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Giterdun wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:53 pm ..... You mention in comments that you used to work in that field.. It must have been really interesting work......
Here is one of the many ideas of how to make the manual stencil for small series production.
This is just an idea, obviously the file must be optimized both in flow and in size.
Attachments
Clamp_Mold3.FCStd
(748.58 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Clamp_Mold3.gif
Clamp_Mold3.gif (138.67 KiB) Viewed 513 times
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

papyblaise wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:12 pm something tickles me: why print a mold, and not the part itself
I actually did print this part itself x 4 as that is what I needed. The purpose of the post was to understand how to make a mold. Also, if I make the part with resin, it will likely be stronger. I have created other objects that actually use a ton of supports and creates a lot of wasted filament that I will be trying to make molds for. :D
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

domad wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:49 pm
Giterdun wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:53 pm ..... You mention in comments that you used to work in that field.. It must have been really interesting work......
Here is one of the many ideas of how to make the manual stencil for small series production.
This is just an idea, obviously the file must be optimized both in flow and in size.
Holy moly Domad. That looks pretty wicked, and I'm sure you whipped that up in no time. ;) It would take me a year with my limited knowledge to come up with something even remotely close.. lol.. Looking at your animation, I assume you simply pull the pin to remove the mold. Although there's no scaled production in the plans, ( I'm retired from paid work.. ;) ) I will most certainly be studying your drawing with much interest... Out of curiosity though, is the animation make in FreeCad or other software? Again, your concepts are amazing to me, and I'm sure others as well...
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Giterdun wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:17 pm Holy moly Domad. That looks pretty wicked, and I'm sure you whipped that up in no time. ;) It would take me a year with my limited knowledge to come up with something even remotely close.. lol.. Looking at your animation, I assume you simply pull the pin to remove the mold. Although there's no scaled production in the plans, ( I'm retired from paid work.. ;) ) I will most certainly be studying your drawing with much interest... Out of curiosity though, is the animation make in FreeCad or other software? Again, your concepts are amazing to me, and I'm sure others as well...
It is just an idea, it is not a complex modeling, you will realize it by analyzing its flow (which can always be improved / refined).
As you can see, from the animated gif, the two "shells" matrices, which will give the external shape, have holes at the ends in which screws must be inserted to lock them in the right position, once the punch has been inserted, which will give the internal shape, the transversal pin must be placed which will have two functions: those of creating the holes and then that of locking the punch in its seat so as not to make it "float" during the resin filling phase.
As for the realization of the animated gif, I obviously used FreeCad as a "maneuverer" of the model, a sw for the screeshoot in sequence, lastly the editing and assembly were made with Gimp.
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

domad wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:49 pm
Giterdun wrote: Sat Aug 20, 2022 3:17 pm Holy moly Domad. That looks pretty wicked, and I'm sure you whipped that up in no time. ;) It would take me a year with my limited knowledge to come up with something even remotely close.. lol.. Looking at your animation, I assume you simply pull the pin to remove the mold. Although there's no scaled production in the plans, ( I'm retired from paid work.. ;) ) I will most certainly be studying your drawing with much interest... Out of curiosity though, is the animation make in FreeCad or other software? Again, your concepts are amazing to me, and I'm sure others as well...
It is just an idea, it is not a complex modeling, you will realize it by analyzing its flow (which can always be improved / refined).
As you can see, from the animated gif, the two "shells" matrices, which will give the external shape, have holes at the ends in which screws must be inserted to lock them in the right position, once the punch has been inserted, which will give the internal shape, the transversal pin must be placed which will have two functions: those of creating the holes and then that of locking the punch in its seat so as not to make it "float" during the resin filling phase.
As for the realization of the animated gif, I obviously used FreeCad as a "maneuverer" of the model, a sw for the screeshoot in sequence, lastly the editing and assembly were made with Gimp.
Thank you again domad for the creation and explanation of this model. To me, it's truly impressive what someone can create with FreeCad. I studied your file to understand the flow.. Unlike yourself though, for me it's quite complicated but I can see a completely logical process. As mentioned, I've only been using FreeCad now for a little more than a year, and I'll probably never fully understand a tenth of what can actually be done with it.. lol. As papyblaise said, it's much easier to just simply print the object, but I will be printing your model, more for fun and understanding than anything.. I will also modify the file for larger pipe, mainly to understand it better, and also just to see if I can do that without messing it up.. :D I will save several copies just in case. :D Again, thanks a ton for all your help and input. It is very much appreciated.