Split a mold object

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Giterdun

Re: Split a mold object

Post by Giterdun »

domad wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:32 pm
Giterdun wrote: Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:10 pm ....
Hi Giterdun, greetings to the Community!
Is this what you are asking?
Sry guys.. just been extremely busy last few days and haven't even had time to log on here.. That looks really good, but not quite what I was looking for.. I want to split the mold vertically to end up with two halves, so that I can print each half separately..
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 10:08 am @Giterdun :

* see PartDesign_Revolution
* see PartDesign_PolarPattern
* see Taper angle (PartDesign_Pad)
* your DatumPlane is useless for what you are showing.
* the ribs shoulb be round at the outside edge

* your sketches are ... awful, you should read chrisb lecture : https://forum.freecadweb.org/memberlist ... ile&u=5646 > see signature
* Sketch004 should not be paddable due to T-junction
* Sketch010 : use Sketcher_ConstrainSymmetric and/or Sketcher_ConstrainEqual

Give your full info (see red banner above).
Thank you for your feedback. My sketches may be awful to you, but they will do exactly what I want them to do.. I have already printed them, but I wanted to make a mold so I wouldn't have to. Unknown to you, the datum plane was for creating a through all 6mm hole in the object that I deleted because I didn't know how to make the mold to include the holes. I have also only been using FreeCad for little over a year, and have already created quite a few functional objects for myself and others..
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

Vincent B wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:49 pm - Where do you expect the parting line plane?
- You should give a draft angle to your part, perpendicular to this plane.
I was trying to split it horizontally in the middle, looking at your picture.
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

papyblaise wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:39 am make Tube less high so that it makes 2 parts of the mold, with the disaggregate tool of Draft (big blue arrow down) get 2 solids
rework it , there is an unmoldable fillet
No Idea how you did that.. lolol.. but if you look at the blue object, I want to split that vertically...
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

imprecise question > stupid answer
you cut with a cube and mirror
I took the opportunity to improve your drawing, even if you don't care, it's for those who would read your post
Attachments
moule3.FCStd
(83.26 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
moule3.JPG
moule3.JPG (27.83 KiB) Viewed 723 times
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:31 am imprecise question > stupid answer
I took the opportunity to improve your drawing, even if you don't care, it's for those who would read your post
Sry.. I thought my original question was fairly clear except for the direction of the cut. I really have no problem with you or anyone editing or improving the drawing, but for the purpose of this object, it really doesn't matter.. I'm simply trying to learn how to split a mold object so I can print both pieces. This object is simply used to push on over a metal pole that is used to roll up a tent door, to keep the pole from sliding our of the door fabric... I did originally have holes for screws, but I couldn't figure out how it would work with a mold, so I removed them, but left the datumplane there.. I can simply drill holes later... ;) In any case, the split I was looking for would be horizontal in your picture, instead of vertical... you say to cut with a cube and mirror, and is likely very easy for yourself, but for someone who's never done it, it's complicated.. but I will try to figure out the steps involved..
edit:
Looking at your drawing, I see you did the groove for the ribs.. When I tried that, they were not even, which is why I did 2 separate pockets... For this object , your solution will work fine, as both sides are the same and nothing would stop it from coming apart. I will print it and see how it works. Thank you.. But I have another object that I want to make a mold for and split horizontally as a vertical split wouldn't work...
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Could be something like that.
Attachments
ClampMold.FCStd
(356.6 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (29.78 KiB) Viewed 634 times
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

Vincent B wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:52 pm Could be something like that.
Yes Vincent, that will work for this object for sure. It's similar to the one that papyblaise made.. I'm trying to understand the steps needed to make the mold.. I'll look at your method and try to decipher it.. :D
Thanks for your help.
Giterdun

Post by Giterdun »

papyblaise wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:31 am imprecise question > stupid answer
I opened and studied your file to understand what and why you did what you did with it, and then used your method to create another object mold with just a different diameter, and it worked great. As I mentioned, I originally tried the groove, but didn't quite understand why it didn't work, and that's why I made the two pockets.. but thanks to you, I now know why, as I had my sketch on the face of the rib, instead of in the middle like you. So thank you for your sharing your knowledge with this and how to do the cut.. The only question I have tho, is how would we make the mold if there were holes for screws in the sides, ie, from the datumplane like I had originally, or is that even possible? please see attached..
Attachments
Pole Clamps 36.FCStd
(207.16 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Giterdun wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:00 pm .....
Hi Giterdun, greetings to the Community!
If in injection thermoplastic, here is an example from which to draw inspiration for making the holes, the movement for drilling can be automated (not manual) https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php ... 5d0e498bbe