[Feature suggestion] Make Auto-Constraints possible from any Plane

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FredCailloux

[Feature suggestion] Make Auto-Constraints possible from any Plane

Post by FredCailloux »

OS: Windows 7 Version 6.1 (Build 7601: SP 1) / Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.29177 (Git) / Build type: Release / Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: 68e337670e227889217652ddac593c93b5e8dc94
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.2
The proposed sketch involve the attempt to make a Bolt.
When entering the “sktThread” sketch one can see that the “Edit controls” Auto constraints is selected ON.
The problem manifest ( but not necessarily limited to ) when a closed Polyline is created.
This example try to create a triangle utilizing the Polyline tool.
Because the background plane is XZ with X pointing to the right, by default, the attempt can be successful.
If the construction view is rotated on the Z axis such that X is pointing to the left (180°), then the Polyline cannot be closed.
Note: The XZ plane is rotated utilizing the upper right Navigation Cube on the sketcher window.
Trying to build a triangle utilizing the Polyline tool will result in a semi triangle for which the End of the third segment is impossible to connect with the Start of the first segment, as if the Auto-Constraints feature has suddenly been disabled.
In the previous case, where the Z axis has not been twisted 180°, there is no problem closing the triangle, where in this case the triangle is impossible to close.
If the XZ plane is rotated back to X axis pointing right, then the Polyline tool can perform correctly and closing the triangle suddenly become possible again.
Many experiments have been tried to see if there could be interactions with either, the Auto Constraints ticked ON from the preferences or within the Edit Controls from the Sketch window dialog. Both options are erratic when the Z axis is manipulated.
It would appear that the only way for the Auto Constraints feature to be functional is when no modification of the Z axis rotation has been done.
In a perfect world, it is obvious that Auto-Constraints should have nothing to do with the fact that a plane is or not rotated.
Attachments
Possible.png
Possible.png (137.39 KiB) Viewed 871 times
NotPossible.png
NotPossible.png (129.81 KiB) Viewed 871 times
_AutoConstraints.FCStd
(39.26 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
Last edited by FredCailloux on Sat Aug 20, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Great results only comes with great understanding. Great memory is just an illusion.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Cannot utilize Sketcher Auto-Constraints as expected

Post by chrisb »

For technical reasons are the points in a sketch slightly elevated over the geometry. Thus they cannot be selected when editing a sketch from behind.
If you have a given - turned - drawing and you want to follow this while sketching, then you should consider to set MapReversed=true for the sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

In that case, you can use a box selection (right to left) of the vertex then Sketcher_ConstrainCoincident them.

I seldom rotate the sketch while editing it : only to catch elements normal (perpendicular) to the view.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Op opened issue #7341
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I'm not really happy with the ticket. The reason why we ask people to discuss issues prior to creating a ticket, is that the result of the discussion should be incorporated in the ticket. The issue has nothing to do with auto constraints. It is not a bug - albeit inconvenient -, but a feature request, because the current state is known and works as designed.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

chris, Agreed.
Do you mind re-wording it so it's a feature request then ? :P
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:05 am chris, Agreed.
Do you mind re-wording it so it's a feature request then ? :P
Will do later.
FredCailloux

Post by FredCailloux »

chrisb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:32 pm I'm not really happy with the ticket. The reason why we ask people to discuss issues prior to creating a ticket, is that the result of the discussion should be incorporated in the ticket. The issue has nothing to do with auto constraints. It is not a bug - albeit inconvenient -, but a feature request, because the current state is known and works as designed.
Respectfully, I struggle understanding the issue here. As far as a User is concerned, one is expected to be able to Auto-Constraint and FreeCAD does not behave as expected. To me it sound like it's a bug. But hey, You guys are the expects and I'm just a newbie, so you win. What should be the next step ? Should I just delete the ticket or edit ? What should be changed in the description ?
Cheers 8-)
Great results only comes with great understanding. Great memory is just an illusion.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FredCailloux wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:44 pm You guys are the expects and I'm just a newbie, so you win.
We don't win due to you being a newbie, we win because we are right :)
What should be the next step ? Should I just delete the ticket or edit ? What should be changed in the description ?
Cheers 8-)
I think the issue should be something like this:

Description of the problem: The points in Sketcher are raised above the geometry in order to make the selectable with the mouse. This works well in the default orientation, but fails if the sketch is turned so that it is seen from the back.

Feature request: Make the points selectable with the mouse independent from the orientation of the sketch. This could e.g. be done by raising them always towards the user.
FredCailloux

Post by FredCailloux »

chrisb wrote: Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:38 pm I think the issue should be something like this:

Description of the problem: The points in Sketcher are raised above the geometry in order to make the selectable with the mouse. This works well in the default orientation, but fails if the sketch is turned so that it is seen from the back.

Feature request: Make the points selectable with the mouse independent from the orientation of the sketch. This could e.g. be done by raising them always towards the user.
Sounds good to me