[Solved] FreeCAD is interfering with VLC (Video player)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Rich83

[Solved] FreeCAD is interfering with VLC (Video player)

Post by Rich83 »

This is a very strange bug. I'm just not sure where the fault lies.

OS is void linux.
Both VLC (the media player) and FreeCAD (version 0.19.4) have been installed from the void linux binary repository.

Here is the problem scenario;-

1/ Start VLC
2/ Perform an 'open' operation - the "open file" dialogue opens. The format of this is identical to that of FreeCAD so I am assuming it's a QT component/widget.
3/ On the left of the file dialogue is a list of 'favourite' directories. I see a single entry in here; my home directory
4/ Close the dialogue (no need to actually open a file)

5/ Start FreeCAD
6/ Perform an 'open' operation - the "open file" dialogue opens
7/ In the dialogue are some entries; the complete list is;-
Desktop
Documents
rich <- this is my home directory
Music
Pictures
Videos
freecad <- this is where I am saving all my FreeCAD files

The strange thing about this list is that Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos don't exist - there are no-such directores! They are even greyed-out. It seems that FreeCAD decided I should have them (??)

8/ Now go back to VLC and perform an 'open' operation again
9/ This time, the VLC 'open file' dialogue has somehow been modified to include the same list of 'favourite' directories as FreeCAD.

I have tried this several times. It makes no difference if the applications are closed-down in-between swapping between them - it's always 100% reproducible. If I change the VLC 'favourites', they just get reset again when I run FreeCAD. I have never seen anything like this before.

By the way, setting the VLC 'favourite' directories doesn't seem to interfere with FreeCAD.

Any help or explanation with this would be much appreciated.

regards

Rich
Last edited by Rich83 on Sun Aug 14, 2022 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD is interfering with VLC (Video player)

Post by chrisb »

Moved to Help forum.

Please attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

Rich83 wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 5:56 pm This is a very strange bug. I'm just not sure where the fault lies.
Would be good if you made a screenshot of the two dialogs in order to see whether the native or Qt dialog is used.
The strange thing about this list is that Documents, Music, Pictures and Videos don't exist - there are no-such directories!
That's interesting. I have never seen a case where these directories don't exist. When FreeCAD uses the Qt dialog then it shows these directories but doesn't explicitly check if they exist.
9/ This time, the VLC 'open file' dialogue has somehow been modified to include the same list of 'favourite' directories as FreeCAD.
I cannot confirm this behaviour. But anyway, FreeCAD doesn't access any 3rd party applications to change their behaviour or the like. So, I guess it must be caused by Qt or a system plugin of your DE.
Rich83

Post by Rich83 »

Apologies for not posting the version info - I meant to do it - honest! Anyway, here it is....

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.4.1_voidlinux
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.10.4
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Rich83

Post by Rich83 »

This is the FreeCAD file dialogue
fc.png
fc.png (75.13 KiB) Viewed 753 times
Rich83

Post by Rich83 »

This is the file dialogue from VLC;-

vlc.png
vlc.png (124.46 KiB) Viewed 748 times
Rich83

Post by Rich83 »

That's interesting. I have never seen a case where these directories don't exist. When FreeCAD uses the Qt dialog then it shows these directories but doesn't explicitly check if they exist.
Thanks very much for the reply, but why would you assume these directories DO exist? And why does FreeCAD explicitly add them to the list of favourite directories? It makes no sense - especially adding a directory called something like 'Music'.

Adding them explicitly at least explains why they keep getting added to the dialogue again after I have removed them, though I would rank that behaviour as a bug.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Rich83 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:32 pm Thanks very much for the reply, but why would you assume these directories DO exist?
these are standard directories and most distro installers out there create them by default (and they are always created by windows and most likely macOS too), there are many bare bones distros that don't create them though, IMO freecad should at least check for their existence before adding them or maybe not add them at all although that might end up being annoying for the vast majority of people that actually have those directories.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Rich83 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:09 pm Version: 0.19.4.1_voidlinux
Please retry with a current (0.21) AppImage. It uses current libraries and may behave differently.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Void Linux is a sorce dist, it means that it builds packages using receipts something like AUR for Arch Linux.

Said so it is probably a quirks derived from the "packager" of the FreeCAD version supplid by void linux.

Some time ago I've written some packages for Void Linux prior to the change occurred when the lead developer has left (it has reappeared from last info I had).

Try using an AppImage and see if it works as expected.

Usually libs for Void Linux are quite updated, so I think that you will not have problems from this side.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/